Subject: Moving to Tucson on July rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Padilla
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hello all, I'm moving to Tucson on July and I'd like to know where are the good places to play games and see if there are any gaming groups looking for new members that meet regularly. I'd play pretty much anything but lately I've leaning more to euro style games, mostly because time. I'm married with two kids and time is sometimes a scarce resource. Check my collection and you'll see what kind of games like to play. I'll be happy to bring them to any meeting.

Cheers

Sergio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Sergio. Tucson has a great community of gamers. Feel free to join and get to know our Tucson Guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Perger
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srpadlop wrote:
Hello all, I'm moving to Tucson on July and I'd like to know where are the good places to play games and see if there are any gaming groups looking for new members that meet regularly. I'd play pretty much anything but lately I've leaning more to euro style games, mostly because time. I'm married with two kids and time is sometimes a scarce resource. Check my collection and you'll see what kind of games like to play. I'll be happy to bring them to any meeting.

Cheers

Sergio

WELCOME! There are a couple of game shops in town that run games. Depending on what side of town you are in, I would recommend Isles of Games or A2Z games. There you will meet some folks that often run their own if you would like. There is also a great game convention in Tucson, Rincon. www.rincongames.com and they have a Fundraiser coming up May 9th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
In July? Boy, you really want to jump right into the thick of the heat I guess Welcome to our awesome little gaming town and as David mentioned above, you're best first step is to check out/join/subscribe to the Tucson Guild which has a lot of the info you're asking about, and will keep you in touch with new discussions. As you get here and get to know folks, you'll quickly get a feel for the various events around town and what works best for you. If you're here by July 18th, we have a game day planned at a local hotel, so that would be a cool chance to meet a pile of us locals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew! South Dakota to Tucson in July. Prepare for the temperature shock.

Although the stereotypical saying of "it's not the heat, it's the humidity" actually does apply here. I've spent much, much worse summers in the midwest.

As a native, I've never spent much time looking at the Tucson Gamers Guild pages that some others have referenced, so I'll just throw in my specific knowledge (probably duplicated from those pages).

Isle of Games (east side) and Tucson Games and Gadgets (central) are the two most recent game stores to open. Both are clean and have nice gaming areas. You might want to check both out and decide which suits you best.

There's also a weekly board game get-together on Thursdays at Hat's Games (central-ish). It started in the early 2000's as a Raytheon gaming group but has always welcomed all. In fact, Raytheon employees are usually outnumbered these days. Bad news: it's down to relatively few regular attendees, usually about 4-6. Hat's is also primarily a miniature and CCG (L5R) gaming shop and we boardgamers are often off in the corner of a fairly boisterous gathering of regular miniature and RPG groups. The staff is friendly and always carves out some space for us on the particularly crowded nights.

The Tucson Gamers Guild page lists several more. I've just checked and never realized that A2Z hosts another Raytheon night (RTEAM = Raytheon). It's out on Ina and caters more to people located on the NW side of town.

I have heard that the Ides of Gaming event has been a little spotty recently. I've never regularly attended, so anyone else want to comment on that?

Welcome to Tucson. Not the air conditioning capital of the US, but close (we are about 100 miles south of that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An early welcome from another Arizona transplant! Adam and I are up in the Phoenix area and don't know the Tuscon gaming scene, but I wanted to welcome you early.

We also moved here in the middle of summer. (August for us.) We decided to pack any items that might be more susceptible to heat in our car that we could better temperature control. Get a lot of help on your moving day here and stay hydrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Padilla
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks all for your fast replies! I'm really glad that Tucson have a nice gaming community. Looking forward to get there. As for the heat, I'm originally from the south of Spain. Lived there until 5 years ago when I moved to the states. So, I hope the change is bereable.
Thanks again
Sergio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Kallen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Sergio.

Drew Kallen, manager of Isle of Games here.

If you haven't had the chance, check out our Facebook page for a look at the store and our Isle of Games Events page for a list of events.

www.facebook.com/isleofgames
www.facebook.com/groups/isleofgames

Look forward to meeting you when you get to town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Padilla
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks Drew! I'll definitively check it out.

Sergio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Padilla
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
It turns out we are moving to Phoenix instead! Long story. So, do you know of any good places to meet and play games? Or any gaming groups that are currently accepting new members?
Sergio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.