Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that these games are not really that similar, but I am looking for a game that I can get that fits in the two hour range (don't mind if it goes a little longer) that I can really hone on strategies, but yet has a lot of variability from game to game. I love games that are more or less civilization building, so these two have risen to the top for me.

For and Against Core Worlds + Both Expansions:
+I love card games.
-I don't in general like Deck builders, but I do like Martin Wallace's (A Study in Emerald, A Few Acres of Snow), because the focus is more on getting the actions you need then on combo building.
-Afraid it might be a little long for it's depth.

For and Against Terra Mystica (I've played once):
+Variability of Races
+I like building the civs on the map.
-High rules overhead. Hard to get new players into.
-I play a lot of games with 3 players, sometimes 4. TM seems best of 5 then 4.
-My favorite games are ones where you have to adapt as you go along. I am afraid that the race and bonus combos will make the game a bit deterministic.

I realize this is a pretty opinion based question, but I was hoping to get some thoughts from others.

EDIT: Would someone mind specifically commenting if they think TM is worth getting if I will mainly play it 3, maybe 4 people, but rarely 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play Core Worlds with both expansions with 3 players in 2 hours, maybe a little more with Revolution.

We do make the game a bit quicker by interleaving actions, for example when the current player starts to deploy, the next player can start their action (unless they want to wait to see the result of the deployment). Usually all three deploy (no peeking) in parallel and when finished the first one can continue with their next action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
We usually play Core Worlds with both expansions with 3 players in 2 hours, maybe a little more with Revolution.

We do make the game a bit quicker by interleaving actions, for example when the current player starts to deploy, the next player can start their action (unless they want to wait to see the result of the deployment). Usually all three deploy (no peeking) in parallel and when finished the first one can continue with their next action.

Do you feel like this devolves into each player just doing their own thing, as can be common with a lot of card games? One of the great things about TM is that it forces you to interact with the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Your fear that Core Worlds is too long for what it is was exactly my issue with the game. I thought the game was fine overall but for the time it takes, I would much rather play Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
Do you feel like this devolves into each player just doing their own thing, as can be common with a lot of card games? One of the great things about TM is that it forces you to interact with the other players.

Core Worlds is not multiplayer solitaire although you don't attack other players directly (well, mostly). The Central Zone guarantees that there is a lot of interaction in trying to get the best units and conquer the best worlds. And in the final two rounds you can try to snatch the Core Worlds that would give the opponents the most bonus points, even if it gives yourself a little less.

The Galactic Order expansion also allows more surprises because you can call upon favors and use up tokens to help you with fleet or ground strength you need to conquer a world or draft a card with discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
Get them both and switch every other gaming session. Though this might be the reason I have to sleep on the couch more these days!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.