Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came home from work today to find my x-wing stuff all over the table and not put away!! But aside from that, we've got a question...

For Nate's birthday I get him the imperial aces and decimator so he and his brother broke them out along with a new B-wing and set up a match. Both have played with me before and have a good understanding of the rules, but I came home to some, dad... This is crap! And, dad, I killed Nate!

So, it seems the B got within 3 of the decimator and hit him with ion cannon. Decimator moves 1 forward, B moves in and shoots him again... Eventually, unable to do anything, three ion cannons later the decimator is off the board.

Did we do anything rules wrong, and/or, what is the strategy to avoid this?

It seems the interceptor was tied up with Han on the other side of the board.

Thanks,
CaptM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decimator is large base so it takes 2 tokens to ionize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Large ships require two ion tokens to be ionized. The B-Wing would have had to hit with the ion cannon twice to force the Decimator into the 1-Forward maneuver.

Still, with 0 Agility, the Decimator can be susceptible to concentrated ion attacks. So one option is to steer clear of the board edges (obviously). If you're already ionized and being forced that way, try blocking it with one of your own ships to decrease the distance it moves. And with the Decimator, you have a couple of upgrade options (Captain Kenkirk as the pilot, Expose upgrade, Isard crew) that can increase your Agility so you can try to avoid being hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem I see is that the Ion Cannon only applies one token to the Decimator. Large base ships are not effected by Ion Tokens until they have at least 2 tokens.

Ioning a large base ship off the play area is a strategy in this game however it takes a concentration of fire on that ship to continue stacking at least 2 tokens a turn on a large base ship.

Luke

FAQ answers this question. In the current FAQ from March 27 2015 it is on page 3 second column at the top under the section titled Ion Tokens conveniently enough.

-----

Quote:

Some card abilities may cause a ship to receive an ion token. A large ship is unaffected by a single ion token; the ion token simply remains assigned to the ship. When a large ship has two or more ion tokens assigned to it, it suffers the ion token effect as normal, then player removes all ion tokens from the ship at the end of the Activation phase.

Link:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9d/df...

-----

EDIT: Ninjaed not once but twice!

EDIT 2: Added the reference links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
I came home from work today to find my x-wing stuff all over the table and not put away!! But aside from that, we've got a question...

For Nate's birthday I get him the imperial aces and decimator so he and his brother broke them out along with a new B-wing and set up a match. Both have played with me before and have a good understanding of the rules, but I came home to some, dad... This is crap! And, dad, I killed Nate!

So, it seems the B got within 3 of the decimator and hit him with ion cannon. Decimator moves 1 forward, B moves in and shoots him again... Eventually, unable to do anything, three ion cannons later the decimator is off the board.

Did we do anything rules wrong, and/or, what is the strategy to avoid this?

It seems the interceptor was tied up with Han on the other side of the board.

Thanks,
CaptM

It takes 2 ion tokens to affect a large ship like the Deimator.
- First ion token: ignored... but it isn't removed.
- Second ion token: next turn it does a 1-straight, and remove ALL ion tokens.

So if there was only one B-wing shooting it with an Ion Cannon, it would have only suffered the effects of ionization every other turn, at most. However, 2 B-wings each shooting it every turn could indeed fly it off the table as described, as could 2 Y-wings with Ion Turrets, etc. I've seen this done, and a local store championship semifinal was nearly won in a similar manner (using Ion Pulse Missiles) but he whiffed a crucial roll that would have sent Leebo's YT-2400 "Outrider" off the table.

In general, if your opponent is packing Ions, don't fly close to the board edge aimed off the table. Try to keep a lot of space in front of you, and hope you can take out the Ion guns before they do their thing.
(Similarly, it's a good idea not to aim directly at obstacles on turns you might get ionized)

EDIT - Ninja'd thrice. ninja ninja ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need 2 ion tokens to ionize a big ship (i.e. move 1 straigth and clear ion tokens).
If a big ship has only 1 ion token, nothing happens and the token remains until the ship receives an other ion token.

But yes, you can concentrate your ion weapons to ionize a ship turn after turn, and make it leave the battlefield.

Edit : ninjaninjaninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yup, da Boys had an illegal match.

Thanks for the rules clarification and strategy hints.

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do what I did.

Was rolling a scum list with two BTL-A4 Ion Y-Wings that managed to ionize a almost full health Scum Boba right off the board.

Or would have done so had my maneuver with one of them not landed him right in the path of Boba and his final position off the board, thus blocking him...and saving him from leaving the edge.

I lost that match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.