Popular Tags: [View All]
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Cluzzle last night for the first time (thanks Tanga). We enjoyed the game but we all thought that the scoring system was just wrong. It seems that no matter what happened in the game, everyone traveled around the scoring track together with merely a 1 point difference.

The fact that both the sculptor and the guesser get the same amount of points when guessed appears to be the broken part.

It seems that the sculptor should be penalizd for an early guessing, therefore 1 point in the first round. This is how the game works, and it is fine.

However, we all felt that the guesser should be rewarded for making an early guess! If they guess right in round 1, the guesser should get maximum points (3) not just 1 point.

What I'm saying is that the two rows in the scoring chart should be the inverse of each other. Increase points for the Sculptor as the rounds progress. Decrease points for the Guessers as the rounds progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the scoring works great. You want the sculpture's to be difficult to guess, but not impossible.

So sculptures that are easy to guess get less points than ones that are harder to guess.

Changing the game the way you describe would alter the way people played the game. Most of the sculptures would be really obscure, because you would want to make sure that no one guessed right on the first turn, because they'd get 3 points and you'd only get 1. Likewise in a situation where you knew you were the only player to figure out a really difficult sculpt in the 3rd round, you might guess wrong on purpose because you'd only get 1 point and the sculpter would get 3 points, possibly moving ahead of you in the scoring.

If both the sculpter and the guesser(s) get the same points, there is no manipulating the game system. You just play and score as many points as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinions, the scoring works fine.

The sculptor that is not easy nor not too hard in order to get good score. Both sculptors and guessors should try not to share the answer with too many others, in order to make a difference at the final score.

If you find the final scores are too close, most likely your group tries to question the key points too explicitly. Therefore, everyone all get the answers and scores.

In my previous plays, with various groups, I advised them to ask questions wisely unless you are really clueless. The final scores in our plays varied much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
in the 3rd round, you might guess wrong on purpose because you'd only get 1 point and the sculpter would get 3 points, possibly moving ahead of you in the scoring.

Ah ha! You are correct, sir.

I guess I need to play it more in order to see how it pans out after multiple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on Adams. Obviously... i had difficult to present the ideas with my poor english. lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar,

Many people think the scoring is messed up when they first play the game. But like others pointed out, if you change the scoring then the game falls apart. It is true that scores stay pretty close unless the full 6 players are playign the game. That is why we usually play 2 or 3 games in a row and keep the score from one game to the next.

Dom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Played Cluzzle last night for the first time (thanks Tanga). We enjoyed the game but we all thought that the scoring system was just wrong. ... However, we all felt that the guesser should be rewarded for making an early guess! If they guess right in round 1, the guesser should get maximum points (3) not just 1 point. ... Increase points for the Sculptor as the rounds progress. Decrease points for the Guessers as the rounds progress.

I finally got a chance to play Cluzzle yesterday, and this is exactly my impression that something seemed seriously wrong with the game (despite other aspects of the game being a lot of fun), my exact reasons for thinking so, and the exact same solution to it that I came up with. In fact, since someone else read the rules to us, I came here to BGG just now specifically to find out whether that really was the rule, or if we had the scoring messed up. But even the person who read the rules to us thought the scoring system was bad for the game.

Ok, ... so it's supposed to be that way, according to the designer. But I can't see the logic in it, and whenever I play it again, I'm going to insist on scoring by the method described by Skadar, at least if there are three or more players (and if there are only two, there's no game no matter how you score it).

If the sculptor gets 1-2-3 points, there's incentive to make it harder to guess but still guessable, and that's great. If the guessers get 3-2-1 it adds even more incentive for the sculptor to keep it from being guessable in the first round (the guessers would get more points than he gets). As for the guessers guessing wrong in the 3rd round to keep the sculptor from getting 3 points, sure, that's one possible strategy they could use, but countering that they have to remember that if someone else guesses it right, the one who deliberately gave a wrong guess will fall behind both of them. Guessers will want to be in on the first right guess, even if it's the 3rd round when it happens, unless they think they're the only one who knows the answer. (And even then, maybe not: the person who makes a lot of 'disadvantageous' trades in Settlers of Catan will still beat someone who makes no trades at all, and this is the same principle. If I can score 5 points with 5 right guesses in the 3rd round, while everyone else gets 3 each, I'll win.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.