Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Folks,

I own and love TI3, but it never makes it too my table anymore. It takes too long. If that's not enough, me and my friends are leaning more towards games with simpler mechanics.

To that effect, I've been pondering TI1 and TI2. Rather than pay out of my eyeballs for a game with sub-modern production quality, I figured I'd rather rework my TI3 set for use in a more TI1 or 2 style game.

This also gives me the ability to tailor the rules to be what I want. That's always nice.

QUESTION #1: PROGRESSION CHART
Is this truly superior to objective cards? Because it looks just like Objective cards... that you have to take in a certain order.

QUESTION #2: TECHNOLOGY
This is less of a question and more of a statement of preference: I prefer Technology to be a perk, not a requirement. I don't like that the progression chart (and many TI3 objectives) require you to buy tech. In my (many) TI3 house rules, I often reduce the cost of tech, and then make it absolutely unnecessary for victory.

That's about it to start. Thanks for your insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the progression chart because it maps your progress towards victory to the size and spending power of your empire, which feels more like a true measure of strength rather than little things like "win a space battle this turn" and "have 4 technologies". I agree that techs should all be extra instead of required.

Check out these threads, where another user has made a progression chart for TI3. No techs required.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2152547/
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/358579/

I really like playing with this progression chart. It makes the game a bit shorter and rewards you for strengthening your empire.

Here's an image I made of the TI3 progression chart discussed in these threads:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.