Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy games of all genres of all generations. For example, on PC, I just finished Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, have been casually playing through Torchlight II, recently discovered Dungeon of the Endless which I love.

On PS3, I just finished DmC: Devil May Cry and Tales of Xillia and am currently enjoying Dante's Inferno.

On PS2, I rage quit Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King which I will eventually pick back up but need a break from it.

The last game I played through on PS1 was Final Fantasy IX about 6 months or so ago. So now I am in the mood for another classic PS1 rpg.

Here are my rpg preferences but these games may not fit all of these obviously:
Limited or no mindless grinding needed to finish the game.
Graphics that don't make your eyes bleed. I like sprites. (im looking at you FF7)
Bright and colorful over dark and drab.
Straightforward gameplay/progression where I won't get totally lost/stuck and then have to attempt to read through one of those 10,000 page gamefaq ASCII walkthroughs and inevitably rage quit.
I lean towards turn-based but real time is ok.

Poll
What PS1 RPG Should I play next given my preferences?
Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono Trigger (I played through much of this on iPad but then lost my save)
Chrono Cross
Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Breath of Fire IV
Vagrant Story
      28 answers
Poll created by clawlan

EDIT: See Part 2 of this discussion with updated poll here: [POLL] Help me decide on an classic PS1 RPG! [||PART DEUX||]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics

You're welcome.

I have a bunch of strategy rpg's (including FFT) but they tend to be grind-fests. Is FFT not as much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're open to other platforms, Shining Force Neo was a fun hack-and-slash RPG for PS2. There are plenty of great RPGs for SNES: the original Breath of Fire, Soul Blazer, FF2, FF3, though they may have more grinding than you want. And while the graphics for FF7 aren't the best, I really think FF7 was a better game than 8. Legend of zelda Link to the Past, if you're open to more adventure style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
If you're open to other platforms, Shining Force Neo was a fun hack-and-slash RPG for PS2. There are plenty of great RPGs for SNES: the original Breath of Fire, Soul Blazer, FF2, FF3, though they may have more grinding than you want. And while the graphics for FF7 aren't the best, I really think FF7 was a better game than 8. Legend of zelda Link to the Past, if you're open to more adventure style.

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to stick with PS1 for this game, though I have a ton of rpgs for PS2 as well. I do have the FF SNES ports that came out for PS1 though (Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls). I have also played through Link to the Past (and several others in the series).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got to play it but I heard Suikoden was amazing (it spawned several sequels).

I'd second FFT. Not really grinding, but a lot of little battles. Loved the music.

Chrono Trigger was originally SNES, and the PS version added cutscenes and (I think) better music. Still an amazing game. My son is stuck on his DS version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
I initially voted for Lunar: SSSC, but it is a grind fest. It's great, but I remember lots of humping for levels.

How about something like Alundra?

This intro makes it look all action, but it's RPG too. It's closer to early Zelda though, as I understand (I never played early Zelda).

Also, don't forget Xenogears or Parasite Eve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
I never got to play it but I heard Suikoden was amazing (it spawned several sequels).

I'd second FFT. Not really grinding, but a lot of little battles. Loved the music.

Chrono Trigger was originally SNES, and the PS version added cutscenes and (I think) better music. Still an amazing game. My son is stuck on his DS version.

Unfortunately I don't have the original Suikoden. I do have some of the sequels though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
FFVIII is leading the poll right now. Since you've played FFVII, it's more of the same but not quite as good. You know exactly what you'll be getting.

I think you gotta go Suikoden, Xenogears, or L:SSSC.

I know I said it was some grinding, but L:SSSC was so good. Can you even get it anymore? I got the fancy fan pack of it years ago but I think it's crazy expensive now if available at all.

Or if you want to branch off a bit, then Alundra or FFT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
I initially voted for Lunar: SSSC, but it is a grind fest. It's great, but I remember lots of humping for levels.

How about something like Alundra?

This intro makes it look all action, but it's RPG too. It's closer to early Zelda though, as I understand (I never played early Zelda).

Also, don't forget Xenogears or Parasite Eve.

Unfortunately i don't have Alundra, Xenogears or Parasite Eve! But I have heard great things about Xenogears over the years, but have yet to get my hands on a copy. Never heard of Alundra though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
clawlan wrote:
mister lunch wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have the original Suikoden. I do have some of the sequels though.

Oh, you already have all those you listed?

The only answer then is to play them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
FFVIII is leading the poll right now. Since you've played FFVII, it's more of the same but not quite as good. You know exactly what you'll be getting.

I think you gotta go Suikoden, Xenogears, or L:SSSC.

I know I said it was some grinding, but L:SSSC was so good. Can you even get it anymore? I got the fancy fan pack of it years ago but I think it's crazy expensive now if available at all.

Or if you want to branch off a bit, then Alundra or FFT.

Yea, I was fortunate enough to get my hands on both Lunar and Lunar 2 complete editions in the fancy big boxes with all the goodies

Here they are (sorry for potato quality, this is an old pic I dug up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:

Oh, you already have all those you listed?

The only answer then is to play them all.

yea, I only listed games that I have legit copies of. I know I could ROM the others but I am a sucker for original in-box games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
There are goods & bads to each of the games in your poll, but they are all worth playing.

I just want to say that I remember (like it was yesterday) the PS1 era and how all of these games were clearance to 19.99 and below back in the day because no one would buy them. Now today you see crazy kids who weren't even born back then ponying up insane amounts of money for games I remember distinctly not selling for red-tag prices back in the day.

I agree with Goo that Lunar was a slog back in the day (and the cutesy factor irked me) and I agree that FF8 is just more FF7. Chrono Trigger is obviously one of the best games ever, but I associate it with the SNES. Breath of Fire IV was more BOF3, so I voted for Vagrant Story, just to be different. Although I will also agree with Goo again that Xenogears is the alpha & omega of PS1 RPGs. (Alundra was crap though, )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I am seeing a lot of push towards 2 games that are not on my list (FFT and Xenogears)! That being said, I might have to get on ebay and try to nab a copy of Xenogears and Suikoden (looks like they go for around $20-$30 on ebay according to pricecharting.com).

I know it is rpg sacrilege but I never played through FF7 blush. I played it several generations later and I just couldn't get past the horrendous blocky character models. That being said, there is a PC port that also has several graphics mods that make it much easier on the eyes, so i will eventually get to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another vote for FFT.
I probably put 300-400 hours into that game.
You certainly *could* grind, I chose to because I wanted to up certain characters and really enjoyed playing them, but I don't think it was required that often.

Parasite Eve was interesting turn based game. I don't think I ever finished it though.

Both had great soundtracks (FFT is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, movie or game).

Was Vandal Hearts on PS1? That is another SRPG like FFT (and Shining Force, which got me back into gaming) although it was much more linear in terms of gameplay and character/class evolution.

I actually was digging through my old console boxes this weekend (looking for Mortal Kombat 1 on Sega Genesis to show my son, couldn't find it - but I did find Rock and Roll Racing, another awesome game) and was very strongly tempted to hook up the PS1 again. (I showed him the Guncon gun, which he thought was cool, until I showed him the game it went with - Point Blank.)
My 'dream home' would have a home theatre room with enough connectivity and storage to have all my consoles and players connected to a big TV and all the games, DVDs, and BDs on display with easy access. And wireless controllers for everything.

I really liked Persona as well (yet another one I never finished.)

Some awesome RPGs on the PS1.

I liked Lunar and Lunar 2, but mostly for the packaging and supporting the underdog that was WD at the time. Suikoden was also great (the scene when the kid returned to the village still stands out to me) but I couldn't get into Xenogears or Xenosaga.

And now to eradicate any semblance of credibility I may have just instilled - FFX-2 is one of my favorite of the 'core', numbered FF games. (FFT is still my favorite Final Fantasy game by far.) I don't know why, it was just fun and a lot lighter in tone than its predecessors. I liked being able to switch "classes" mid combat, and having only three player characters meant I didn't have to work at keeping everyone about the same level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
...and having only three player characters meant I didn't have to work at keeping everyone about the same level.

I have to tell you, this is probably my number one least favorite thing about rpgs, but i didn't add it to my OP b/c it's almost impossible to find rpgs without this. Though there was one i played recently that gave your benched characters xp...what is FFIX? Cant remember.

FFX is my favorite classic style RPG and while i have played X-2, i never finished it. I recently picked up the X/X-2 HD collection for PS3 though so I'll have to give it another go.

A lot of votes for FFT. The 2 things I remember from playing that game was the steep learning curve and permadeath characters which made me have to restart the battle so as not to lose them. Similar to the Fire Emblem series, though I always played them on non permadeath mode if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
My 'dream home' would have a home theatre room with enough connectivity and storage to have all my consoles and players connected to a big TV and all the games, DVDs, and BDs on display with easy access. And wireless controllers for everything.

Check these setups out:

sauce

sauce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Yet another vote for FFT.
I probably put 300-400 hours into that game.
You certainly *could* grind, I chose to because I wanted to up certain characters and really enjoyed playing them, but I don't think it was required that often.

FFT is one of my most-played games, and I really must say that I think there is a lot of grinding in the game. That is, if you are a first time player, there may be a few key battles in the game that will force you to power up your characters. If you don't know one of a few tricks to gain experience quickly for your characters, it can be very tedious.

Breath of Fire 4 is nice to look at, but I found it really light on substance. I'd probably even recommend BoF3 ahead of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Grandia, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Grandia, obviously.

bahaha. i guess ill add that to my ebay list as well...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
clawlan wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Grandia, obviously.

bahaha. i guess ill add that to my ebay list as well...cool

You won't regret it! It really is the best PS1 RPG, and there are a lot of great RPGs for that system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
I voted Final Fantasy VIII. My biggest beef with that was the magic system, which was completely bizarro.

It is a weird one that took me 10 hours of gameplay to figure out. Once I learned you just draw the max 100 of each spell and never use them, ironically, you're instoppable. (Especially with Ultima since it boosts your stats 1:1.)

The plot's kind of lacking and gets downright weird (in a good way) at the end.

However, the card game (Triple Triad) is fantastic. I wish they made real sets other than the promos that are scarce as hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I really hope you've played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. While yes, it's a 2D adventure platformer that's basically Super Metroid with a Castlevania theme, it has a ton of RPG elements when it comes to levelling up and gearing up your character. Seriously, it's one of the greatest games of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Also, I really hope you've played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. While yes, it's a 2D adventure platformer that's basically Super Metroid with a Castlevania theme, it has a ton of RPG elements when it comes to levelling up and gearing up your character. Seriously, it's one of the greatest games of all time.

I have never actually played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night! They did release a port on the PS3 store which currently sells for $9.99
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
clawlan wrote:
erak wrote:

I have never actually played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night! They did release a port on the PS3 store which currently sells for $9.99

I remember hearing all the talk about Castlevania but when I bought it I was totally let down. It seemed so old even back in the '90s. But I played it anyway... and it was AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.