Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Strategy game for 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm looking for a game that supports 6 players that's strategic, but not too long.

Here are some games my group is loving right now

7 Wonders - this is a mainstay and gets played multiple times when we meet because it supports lots of players, plays easily in 40 minutes, and still has lots of strategy

Citadels - have a friend who brought this one a few nights and they loved it (me, not so much but I'll play it)...but he hasn't been back in a while

Splendor - Group is really loving this now but it's a pain that it tops out at 4 players

Bora Bora - see Splendor

Castles of Burgundy - see Bora Bora

Power Grid - this gets a shout in every now and then, but it takes so long that if it gets played that normally the only thing we play

Some games the group isn't fond of:

Ticket to Ride - I love that it's quick and straightforward but most of the group classify it as too simplistic

Game of Thrones - too long and needs multiple plays to actually get a feel for it

Pandmeic/Hanabi - they're too competitive and aren't fans of coop games

Games I'm thinking about

I own Munchkin but have yet to play it. I'm afraid of all the "Munchkin drags on" posts I've read lol

Incan Gold seems to be worth a look at <$20

Any other suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we're enjoying Kremlin and Condottiere if we want strategy, Lifeboat and Space Cadets: Dice Duel for a laugh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Bohnanza but it's more of a trading game with some luck factors.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at

Quartermaster General

Great game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think strategy and 6 players are a very difficult match with "not too long" game time. I would recommend you split up into 2 groups of 3 players for a better gaming experience (although it might not be as good a social experience for you - so take that into account).

With that in mind, here's some strategic (but not very heavy games, as more heavy/strategy = longer playing time in general):

Libertalia
6 nimmt!
Mascarade
Evolution
Acquire
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike
Lords of Waterdeep, with expansion

Either of these can give 6 people a strategic gaming feel in two hours or less.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played Evolutionlast night with 4 and it was great. I imagine it would still work pretty decently at 6. Presumably the game would take roughly 2 hours at 6 players, just a guess though. There seems to be some AP possibilities though depending who you play with.

+1 to Libertalia
+1 to Lords of Waterdeep with expansion
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eggs and Empires
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
I think strategy and 6 players are a very difficult match with "not too long" game time. I would recommend you split up into 2 groups of 3 players for a better gaming experience


My sentiments exactly! I've tried splitting the group and it kinda doesn't go down well. Hence the dilema
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, also Dice Town with Dice Town: Wild West
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So many games to sift through! Thanks for all the recommendations!

We've never played a war-themed game before and I suspect the theme wouldn't catch on.

I was thinking of getting Lords of Waterdeep from before so that with the expansion will be under heavy consideration. At first glance, most of the suggestions seem like they would catch on well in terms of the description and theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure Keyflower is your best bet

Wonderful game, and scales to 6 with no problem.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold is a blast, but not a strategy game.

Check out Euphoria, it goes to 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici and Acquire are two more you can check out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xlloyd wrote:
(...) but most of the group classify it as too simplistic
(...)they're too competitive and aren't fans of coop games

Games I'm thinking about

I own Munchkin but have yet to play it. I'm afraid of all the "Munchkin drags on" posts I've read lol

Munchkin is both simple and most important by no means suited for competitiv gaming. It's highly luck dependend, long, features kingmaking, all-against-one-situations,...

The only scenario were I would recommend Munchkin is a group which really focusses on flavor and enjoys the funny cards. People who actually 'power game' and really want to win the game absolutely ruin it in my (painful) experience.

6 player games that work well for me:
- 7 Wonders
- Citadels
- Das Amulett (there's also a reimplementation)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas with the expansion supports up to 6 and is one of my favorites.

Chicago Express supports up to 6 and takes an hour to play. Endless depth in that one, simple rules, lotta fun! With 6, I recommend the expansion
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find 6 is a difficult number even if people are willing to split into two groups.

+1 for Bohnanza - I don't think it's that strategic but possibly more strategic than Citadels and I'd certainly rather play it with 6 than Citadels.

The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon are good with 6 and might appeal to people who like Citadels.

Small World + Small World: 6 Player Board + Small World: Be Not Afraid... (or any other pack of extra races and abilities) might work. I've only played it 6p once but it was quite fun. You play in teams of 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Between Two Cities fits the bill.

Range 1-7. It's pretty quick too since it's simultaneous actions.

Only problem is : you'll have to wait a little...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel Driver plays up to 6, lots of good decision points, not too long (60-90 minutes, time increases a bit with number of players, but not a lot), rules aren't overly complicated.

Imperial or Imperial 2030 are also good 6 player games, though they might be edging towards a bit too long. I generally thinking of them as shorter than Power Grid, though, but it depends on how people play them.

Ricochet Robots plays any number, and generally done in 20-40 minutes. Simple rules, definitely thinking involved -- though of a different type.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Betti
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My Favorite for 6 players would be Lords of Waterdeep with the Skullport Expansion:
I absolutely love this game. Simple rules, but a lot of different strategys and ton of replayability. Very intense with 6 players. Less than 2 hours (if everybody knows the game). You really should try this one ;-)

Mabe to simple for you:
King of New York: Simple Gameplay, but much fun. Even with 6 players less than an hour.

Not really a strategy game. but if you like puzzlegames you could try Mutant Meeples. Because of its mechanics very balanced.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a group that likes dark humor with their strategy, try Tomorrow. It works best with six players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My group used to have triple couples night and it was very difficult to find great 6 player strategy games. Games that I love that play 6 very well, but were too long for this group are Eclipse, Imperial 2030 and Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game+Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion. Next, at the long end, but probably the best 6 player game is Keyflower. Chicago Express is a little shorter, and a great game, but probably not best with 6. Finally, the most played triple couples night game was definitely Race for the Galaxy+Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm+Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium. It has strategy, but plays fast with 6 due to simultaneous actions.

We did play 7 wonders for a while, but it is really better with 3-4 and not very strategic with 6 since your cards don't make it back around. Munchkin is not what you are looking for. It isn't strategic, but it is funny.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Popular Front is a very good 6-player strategy game, IMO. I can't say anything about the expansion (which I really need to get). Games play out anywhere from 60-90min so I'm not sure if that would be considered "too long" or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
parapalooka wrote:
Pretty sure Keyflower is your best bet

Wonderful game, and scales to 6 with no problem.


I've heard so much about the Key series. Will add this to the list

jmayDET wrote:
Incan Gold is a blast, but not a strategy game.

Check out Euphoria, it goes to 6.


Theme looks good and I like the 1 hour play time is good. Will check out as well.

SpaceTrucker wrote:
xlloyd wrote:
(...) but most of the group classify it as too simplistic
(...)they're too competitive and aren't fans of coop games

Games I'm thinking about

I own Munchkin but have yet to play it. I'm afraid of all the "Munchkin drags on" posts I've read lol

Munchkin is both simple and most important by no means suited for competitiv gaming. It's highly luck dependend, long, features kingmaking, all-against-one-situations,...

The only scenario were I would recommend Munchkin is a group which really focusses on flavor and enjoys the funny cards. People who actually 'power game' and really want to win the game absolutely ruin it in my (painful) experience.

6 player games that work well for me:
- 7 Wonders
- Citadels
- Das Amulett (there's also a reimplementation)


Loving 7 Wonders and they like Citadels so I'll take your advice on Munchkin. Probably try to sell it lol.

Moe45673 wrote:
Lords of Vegas with the expansion supports up to 6 and is one of my favorites.

Chicago Express supports up to 6 and takes an hour to play. Endless depth in that one, simple rules, lotta fun! With 6, I recommend the expansion


I'm seeing two expansions for Chicago Express. Which one would you recommend?

zabdiel wrote:
I find 6 is a difficult number even if people are willing to split into two groups.

+1 for Bohnanza - I don't think it's that strategic but possibly more strategic than Citadels and I'd certainly rather play it with 6 than Citadels.

The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon are good with 6 and might appeal to people who like Citadels.

Small World + Small World: 6 Player Board + Small World: Be Not Afraid... (or any other pack of extra races and abilities) might work. I've only played it 6p once but it was quite fun. You play in teams of 2.


Group loves Resistance but we haven't played it in a while. I never owned the game so I improvised with a deck of cards. We should do this one again soon.

Bought the Small World app on my Android and I don't think I like it very much. Open to another shot at it but it felt too much like Risk (which I dislike) so it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Schouk wrote:
I'd say Between Two Cities fits the bill.

Range 1-7. It's pretty quick too since it's simultaneous actions.

Only problem is : you'll have to wait a little...


Looks so awesome and started searching for it...then I read the last part of your post cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.