Subject: From memory... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart McIntyre
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As there's no review on this, I thought I'd add some thoughts from memory.

This game represents WWII onwards skirmish.
Each counter is one man
There are some tank and apc counters
The map has two sides, a rural side and an urban side (with bizzare parallelogram buildings).

The game downplays details such as individual weapon statistics in favour of concentrating on individual ability, command and morale. It uses a rather nifty initiative system that works well.

The basic system is this:
Roll d6 to determine initiative.
You place 1 opportunity fire markers on some of your men for each pip on the dice.
Starting with the highest roller, alternate drawing activation chits.
If you draw a high number, more of men can act, however it is more likely that you will get no more impulses this turn.

Each man has an Activation Rating of 1-6, which corresponds to the initiative chits (if you draw 3, then soldiers with an AR of 1-3 can act this impulse). You place the drawn chit on a track which tells you if you have another turn or not; the longer tracks represent the better trained soldiers.

A typical turn is this: you place some opportunity fire chits on your poor (high) AR people (who don't always get to act at all in a turn) to provide covering fire.
You move and fire with your better soldiers, taking care not to leave yourself exposed, particularly on your last activation of the turn - conversely you take advantage if your opponent runs out of activations first.

Firing is a simple 2d6 roll on a chart based on range and weapon class (SMG, rifle etc).

There is a solo scenario where you take on a set of pilboxes.

I have enjoyed playing this game, but I haven't got it out for a while - maybe it's time for another outing soon?

Plus points:
The interactive initiative system is good, plenty of tactical decisions.
There are two copies of the board for hidden movement games

Minus points:
Rules a bit fiddly to read.
I had trouble with a hidden movement game - there are no spotting rules and the LOS rules didn't quite work right for spotting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Westmore
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This sounds like a later, (TSR or hobby japan?)revised version. The flatpack SPI version I have only has an urban map - open terrain was covered in Patrol! the companion game. Rather than inititiative system movement is simultaneous and plotted for each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart McIntyre
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have the TSR boxed set, the boxed Hetzer and the gatefold Bug Hunter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found my musty old boxed set too. I played the heck out of this one back in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.