Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this will be a fun alternative to standard play. While I enjoy Attack wing, the inadequate point system, the Borg, and abused power combos can be frustrating. I feel a Draft format alleviates those problems.

In my group, I have the largest collection so I'd just use my own cards and ships. Otherwise keep track of who owns what ship/card however you want (write it down or use different sleeves or whatnot).

This is a blind draft format designed to hasten set-up and get you playing quickly and with some seldom used ships and cards.

SET-UP
Form a draw deck for each of the following:

*Large ships: >27 points
*Medium ships: 23-27 points
*Small ships: <23 points
*Captains
*Talents
*Crew
*Tech/Weapons

For ships, use one ship card for each model you have available without duplicating unique ships. If you have more ship models than unique ship cards use the generic ship card (for example, if I have 2 Galaxy class ship models, use one Ent-D card and one generic Galaxy). Don't include Borg

For non-ships, use one of each card.

Borg-lovers variant: use your Borg if you must. Understand that Resistance is futile.

Shuffle each deck.

SHIPS: Starting with the Large ship deck, deal 4 cards face-down to each player (or an equal number to each player if you don't have enough).

Each player looks at his or her hand and chooses one card. All players reveal their choice simultaneously.

Repeat this process for the Medium ship deck and then the Small ship deck.

Each player now has the 3 ships they will use in the game. Players now compare the point value of their largest ship. The player with the highest value ship will draft one less Crew or Tech/weapon in the forthcoming draft.

Players then compare the point value of their small ship. The player with the lowest value ship will draft one bonus Crew or Tech/weapon in the forthcoming draft.

CAPTAINS: deal 5 captain cards to each player. Simultaneously, each player chooses one then passes the remaining cards to the player on their left (or to their opponent if playing with just 2 people). Repeat until each player has 3 captains.

Repeat this draft process for Talents, Crew, and Tech/Weapons.

If a captain has an extra elite talent, that player may draft a bonus talent.

Players now assign their captains and upgrades to the ships of their choice, following the rules for ship upgrade icons. Note that upgrades like crew and tech could be spread across any number of your ships or all put on one ship (icons permitting).

FACTION BONUS: players get one faction point for each captain commanding a matching ship (Kirk on the Excelsior= 1 faction point)
Players get faction points for matching faction ships (2 of 3 matching ships = 1 pt, all 3 ship of the same faction= 3 points)

The player(s) with the most faction points receives a 5 pt or less resource of their choice.

Now you're ready to play STAW as normal. This format could be used for one on one matches, team play, multiplayer free for alls, or draft tournaments.
You could easily adjust the card pool to only include factions or time periods thematically to your liking. You could also vary the number of ships to four (LMMS or LMSS) or more.

I would appreciate any feedback, especially about the large, medium and small ship point cut offs. The large ship point limit was initially higher but I lowered it to have more ship variety. Also the small numbers of cards dealt in each draft is designed to limit choice so that a lot of underused cards would see play. Of course, I'm open to adjust them as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How do you handle the various upgrades that can only be assigned to a particular ship/class? Things like Thalaron Weapon, the various Drone Ship upgrades, etc.

Do you just not include them in your draw decks, allow them to go on anything, or just say "you might get lucky"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MormegilND wrote:
How do you handle the various upgrades that can only be assigned to a particular ship/class? Things like Thalaron Weapon, the various Drone Ship upgrades, etc.

Do you just not include them in your draw decks, allow them to go on anything, or just say "you might get lucky"?

Those are all valid approaches, depending on your preference. Personally, I remove any card I deem problematic or overtly overpowered from the draft pool ahead of time but allow the rest to go on anything. I like the idea of a Warbird laying Energy webs or the Ferengi using a Muon Feedback Wave. Since they are "drafted" instead of "purchased", I can justify it in my mind whistle

I don't have the drone ship so I can't comment on those upgrades , but I usually take out the 10 point weapons.

Really though, it's up to you and your group want to do it and what cards to include or omit from the draft pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.