Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

This is a post later in the year than it should have been, but there's still some hope..

I have a route in to a fairly major UK radio consumer programme that could do a feature on the rise in boardgames as a hobby over the last few years and the increase in the number of "better games" now available. Last Christmas, they did the rehash of "here's the games I rememeber from childhood", which was kind of lame. I had hoped to sort something for Essen, which they were interested in, but sadly my working life took over my time...

But, above all, I've been asked for a pitch. This boils down to getting some evidence that games are now more popular than they were, more games are selling than ever before, more people are playing than ever before or something like that. What I need is the evidence that this is the case, not just the fact that I rediscovered games 6 or 7 years ago and that there's a great website full of games that Joe Public have never heard of but would really like. If I can get an angle on it, there's a story, but it would be really good to back up the suggestion with figures etc to make that story happen.

Does anyone know where I might get such info, or have the evidence themselves? Or other ideas for the pitch?

I, along with the thousands of unknowing people who are going to go and buy Monopoly again this Christmas would much appreciate some help...

Thanks
Tomski

If it doesn't happen, I'm determined to get them to cover Essen, or even a UK con, next year... arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find some Essen-saturday pictures.

Or interview a company.

The number of new companies and the number of games published are an indication as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Lewis has dipped a toe in the water of proper gaming over the past few years. I have seen Blokus and Mensa Connections there. It might be worth talking to their buyer about whether that is a conscious decision and how it has went (or choose some other large chain which has started to carry a few games).

Maybe mention about how even Mattel have started to make games which can be classed in the same style (Voltage and Desert Bazaar).

I also think talking about the social nature of gaming as well would be interesting to people. How there are games clubs and conventions where you can try out some games with people before buying. I think this entire area could be a big selling point. It obviously differs from video-gaming which isn't usually social. Also there has been loads on the news about kids not being around adults and lacking social skills as a result. Board and card games (even the dreaded Monopoly) are ideal for getting the family around a table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:

Does anyone know where I might get such info, or have the evidence themselves? Or other ideas for the pitch?

Tom why didn't you ask me? Here is the info you need;

"Board game sales in the UK maintained a level attitude on the sales graph throughout the 1970's (when formal records began) and into the 1980's. Sales peaked in the mid-late 80's primarily owing to the popularity of Trivial Persuit but dipped dramatically in the early 1990's with the advent of the computer games modules. Evergreen favourites like Monopoly and Scrabble have maintained a steady market share, with annual sales figures supplimented by a constant flow of short lived games based upon current TV series and popular themes.

Possibly with the increased popularity of the internet shopping and improved access to niche markets, board game sales saw a rise in popularity from the late 1990's and has maintained a mean average of 9% growth from 1999 to the present day."

Source IJMIU: Nov 2006.

Or a catchy pitch might be; 'Dice are Satan's love blobs, Euros are our only salvation'

Now get on today in Parliament and give them jip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fab - thank you...

Just one question - IJMIU?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:
Fab - thank you...

Just one question - IJMIU?

You had to ask;

I Just Made It Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bushong
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether it is your intention or not, any special that you do for board games is going to be a de facto advertisement for the board game industry. Taking it a step further, any advertising that you do for the board game industry is going to be an advertisement for the biggest board game maker: Hasbro. With that in mind...

Contact Hasbro's marketing department. I'm sure they would be more than willing to give you some hard numbers, especially if you are using it to do (what they believe will be) free advertising for them on the radio.

Regardless of how you may feel about their games or the fact that they want to make money in this business, the fact is that they are probably going to have the most well funded marketing department in the industry. If you want this information, that is the place to go.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.