BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals » Hot Deals - Europe

Subject: Cthulu Wars - £99.99 at Marshall Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Mitchell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just seen this pop up - Seems a pretty good price?

http://www.marshallgames.co.uk/product/petersen-games/cthulh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look impressive. But I'm not sure I can justify £100 on one game which is basically a small scale skirmish/war game (I know it's global, but due to scaling there isn't many movement spaces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And FYI the third picture on the site is a "lie". The pic contains tons of models that are not in the core set.

Still I love the game and glad I got it in the KS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really like Cthulhu toys, and missed the kickstarter, then sure.

If you're in it primarily for the gameplay, it's pretty expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark

They should have a non-deluxe version so to speak so you can get the gameplay without the expense. The gameplay is great tho IMO. And it is super mega awesome to play with huge models!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
Hi Mark :)

They should have a non-deluxe version so to speak so you can get the gameplay without the expense. The gameplay is great tho IMO. And it is super mega awesome to play with huge models!

Yes, indeed. I like the gameplay. Keen to have a go again on yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Price wise thats about as good as you are likely to get. The Esdevium list last week had the price as about £90 inc Vat for an RRP of around £165. A discount is available to retailers of an extra 10% if they order enough copies of a specific game, but I have no idea if Cthulhu Wars had that available. If not then the company is making a small £10 profit.

I have to say while its not a game that attracts me due to theme, thats a cracking price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
It should be free delivery at that price too. I've used Marshall Games in the past and would highly recommend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rockets
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got lucky - This thing Up here seems to go for around 229. I went to a local comic shop on Tabletop day - saw the box and just wanted to look at it - Knowing I'd never pay that much - It was on sale for Tabletop day - Got it for under 170$ Canadian = $140 US . . .

You never know - this thing is gorgeous, but it may not move after initial burst, the price will deter many . . . ( Like that Huge Ogre game, took a long time to sell, and there's still copies at my Local gaming store, even though it's limited edition never to be reprinted. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree. I suspect that much of the market for CW has already bought it; and people are moving on.

There'll always be something new on the bloc... and there's so much competition for those same bucks. FFG is pushing Armada right now, and when faced with the choice of which to get...

Of course, if you like the minis, this set is great.

I personally think they are fun to play with, but I don't actually like most of them that much. A few look great, and a bunch of them look a bit like a squirly mess. Shapes man was not meant to know are better in prose than in plastic.

If you like the gameplay (which I do) but are meh about the minis, it's overpriced. The minis may even be a hindrance: the box is huge! And this is only for 4 players...

That said, I will keep an eye on it. If it falls much further, I'll be tempted to buy...

I'd also happily go in on a smaller production of the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
More Wine
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Shapes man was not meant to know are better in prose than in plastic.

This is beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaveNilVino wrote:
MrMT wrote:
Shapes man was not meant to know are better in prose than in plastic.

This is beautiful.

I look at as 'Shapes man was not meant to know...unless he can justify £100 for one board game'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rest of the KS stuff im due in August will take it up to 7 players and have a bigger map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Alexander
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not interested enough in Cthulu Wars to shell out a bundle of notes for it (not saying it's overpriced but it sure is expensive!) I went for a wander round Marshall Games as I had never heard of them before. Nice site with some good prices - I picked up Quantum for £29.95 (£34.93 with postage) which, while I'm not sure it qualifies for it's own hot deal thread, seemed pretty good to me so thanks for the heads up.

Edit: to correct prices/add with shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Allaby
United Kingdom
Staines-upon-Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Marshall Games are excellent, really good service some nice prices and low free shipping (£60). So yeah, whether you're interested in Cthulu Wars or not, I can just generally recommend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.