Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hoping this gets a response.

Two questions:

1)

In a given turn:

If an artillery unit has conducted a Barrage attack, can it then participate in Antitank fire?

2)

Does Antitank fire satisfy the requirement for attacking adjacent enemy hexes during Regular combat? (in the same way that Barrage attack would)

Can anyone speak to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul taylor
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think you will find the answer in marnaudo video

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, the video offers a good general overview but doesn't go in to specific rule nuances or possible ambiguities. I think it's meant to function as an introduction rather than a tutorial.

The questions came up from an in-depth play-through and a lot of consideration.

My feeling now is (after re-thinking this weeks later) that, in regards to question [1] the answer is likely, Yes - since, when flipped to the Fired side, the artillery counter's Antitank factor isn't parenthesized... As for question [2], I have no new insights...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try asking your question here:

http://www.consimpress.com/ask-a-question/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
You might want to try asking your question here:

http://www.consimpress.com/ask-a-question/

Or in the Rules folder here instead of General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tried both, no dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cole,

Here is your answer for your first question via John Kranz at CSW:

"If Artillery barrages, can it then be used in the anti-tank phase? It obviously can't be used for support, but it's not clear if it can be used in the anti-tank phase (or at least not clear to me.. doesn't mean I just didn't miss the rule)."

"Yes -- artillery can freely participate in AT Fire regardless of their action during the Barrage Phase. However, if an artillery unit does participate in the Barrage Phase during a given player turn, it may not offer offensive or defensive fire support during the Regular combat phase."

FYI: It is post 775 on the CSW Beda Fomm page. Direct link: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dcf4f07/794
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wassall
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the 2nd question ...

Bog Pig wrote:
Does Antitank fire satisfy the requirement for attacking adjacent enemy hexes during Regular combat? (in the same way that Barrage attack would)

The way I'm playing it, Regular Combat is relevant to unshielded, non-armour units only. If an adjacent hex contains an armoured unit (or stack containing an armoured unit) it's not a target hex in Regular Combat. In other words, if it has taken AT fire it's excluded from the Regular Combat Phase. Does that seem sensible/correct?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Robert, thank you kindly for excavating the CSW post! I thought I'd combed through everything. That one slipped through the cracks somehow.

Mike, yes, I can follow that line of reason. Seems fairly sensible to me, in terms of play (maybe not for the attacking infantry, rushing in to an engagement with Armour in the area! I feel like I'll have to run this particular kind of encounter again. In fact, now I'm not so sure that this wasn't a hypothetical, or anticipated, situation for me… Have you come across this before? I wonder if it's even possible (in terms of regular combat attacking restrictions and Armoured ZOC, etc) - haven't picked it up in awhile.

Anyway, I love mulling other this kind of thing - all the gorey details. For me it's a significant part and pleasure of the hobby (to which I'm fairly new), and an opportunity for meditation on the way in which game mechanics might be motivated by historical fact (or the inherent tension of simulation), organized chaos, etc, etc.

That said, would anyone be able to recommend a text on this era of tactical warfare? Practices and procedures? Anything specific to the North African campaign? To Beda Fomm?

Thanks again for the feedback,

Cole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Long story short Mike, I'm gonna go with your play. It does seem to infer nicely from the written rules.

As a solo gamer, this thread has saved me from myself. Happily grinding the gears to spin the wheels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole,

My sincere apologies as I've been out and have not cleared my backlog of emails yet. Thanks so much for addressing these rules questions while I was out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey, no problem! My pleasure (I think…). No, truly, I've really enjoyed running this one. Thanks for the follow up. Kudos for getting Beda Fomm back out there in such fine form. Looking forward to Hell Fire Pass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bog Pig wrote:
That said, would anyone be able to recommend a text on this era of tactical warfare? Practices and procedures? Anything specific to the North African campaign? To Beda Fomm?

--_Brazen Chariots_, by Robert Crisp; and/or
--_Take These Men_, by Cyril Joly.

Both of them are about WW II in North Africa, and both authors were tank officers who were in combat a lot. Joly's book is longer--it starts earlier, ends later, and has more sad parts. Crisp, OTOH, seems to have enjoyed the experience, perhaps because he extraordinarily successful as a tank commander, or maybe just because people treated him well on account of his having been a cricket star before the war.

I think Joly may refer to Beda Fomm in particular, but I can't find my copy right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
(thank you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.