Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing AIDS Walk NYC this year. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys might consider donating to the cause. The proceeds go to the GMHC here in the city and research to help fight a disease that should have been gone a long time ago. I can't offer a game or anything of the sort, but know that this is a really important thing that folks are doing. Plus it'll earn me a free t-shirt that probably won't fit very well.

https://ny.aidswalk.net/tompatterson

I hope you consider donating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how long it will be until the inevitable Anti AIDS-Walk thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if assless chaps will be provided ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I wonder if assless chaps will be provided ?

Is that the only thing keeping you from doing it? Just pack your own. You freakin' Iowans, always looking for a freebie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Ooooo. Missed it by that much.

I just donated to the guy doing the AIDS walk in the other forum.

I've been in touch with that guy. Your donation isn't showing up on either one of our pages. I assume money takes at least four to five business days to travel from Alaska.

I'll pencil you in for $5,000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know you got AIDS by walking. I've been living on the edge and had no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Who am I kidding, I'm not black. (or gay)

Nor educated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone here or in Chit Chat is a champion and is awesome. Thank you for donating, Mystery Friend!

The rest of you... meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
It is terrible that when going to Africa you still have to worry about getting AIDS. Who am I kidding, I'm not black. (or gay)

I'm not sure if you're referencing that PR person who's tweet got her fired or if you're just insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Modest donation sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Modest donation sent.

You're a true gentleman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Modest donation sent.

You're a true gentleman.

I can't refuse a Scott Pilgrim avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:
Someone here or in Chit Chat is a champion and is awesome. Thank you for donating, Mystery Friend!

The rest of you... meh.

No offense, but anyone with adult age children will tell you that guilt is not the most effective or satisfying motivator. Which their children (most of us!) would second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TommyP wrote:

The rest of you... meh.

No offense, but anyone with adult age children will tell you that guilt is not the most effective or satisfying motivator. Which their children (most of us!) would second.

I was kidding. The fact that anyone donated at all is great, and you don't have to feel guilty about not. I'm a stranger on the Internet asking for donations, I wasn't expecting everyone to dump a pile of money on me, man. I'm sorry if that came off as dickish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've raised $1,025 so far.

My next goal is gold paint on my Star Walker pin. It's fancy and I promise I won't lose the day I get it. (I'll probably lose it the day I get it, you guys, let's be honest.)

That goal? $2,500! MAKE IT HAPPEN, INTERNET!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Very modest donation sent a while ago. You are a gentleman, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello Goodbye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:
I'm doing AIDS Walk NYC this year. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys might consider donating to the cause. The proceeds go to the GMHC here in the city and research to help fight a disease that should have been gone a long time ago. I can't offer a game or anything of the sort, but know that this is a really important thing that folks are doing. Plus it'll earn me a free t-shirt that probably won't fit very well.

Sorry, I only support AIDS organizations that are strictly working with pediatric AIDS patients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Very modest donation sent a while ago. You are a gentleman, sir.

Danke! You're a champion of champions!

Edit: Have this video as a thanks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi_Regis wrote:
TommyP wrote:

Sorry, I only support AIDS organizations that are strictly working with pediatric AIDS patients.

That's your prerogative! Any help towards any organization can go a long way towards ending AIDS and HIV once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello Goodbye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:
Hi_Regis wrote:
TommyP wrote:

That's your prerogative! Any help towards any organization can go a long way towards ending AIDS and HIV once and for all.

It's really sad that if you follow 2 simple rules your chances of ending up HIV+ are essentially ZERO...

1. Don't shoot drugs into your body

2. Don't have unprotected sex with someone until you really trust them and know they've recently been tested

Then there is the really dumbed down simple version

1. Don't do illegal drugs

2. Only have sex in the context of a committed monogamous relationship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi_Regis wrote:

It's really sad that if you follow 2 simple rules your chances of ending up HIV+ are essentially ZERO...

2. Don't have unprotected sex with someone until you really trust them and know they've recently been tested

Okay, thanks for your input and I'm glad you support organizations that combat AIDS, especially when it fights pediatric patients. For those of you that are interested, I suggest you look into the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

Of course, there are many reasons why people become infected with HIV, but what I like to avoid is the idea that the disease is somehow a punishment for behavior. Yes, some people use drugs and/or become addicts, end up sharing needles, and contract the AIDS virus. This is unfortunate, sad, and preventable. I don't think we should turn a blind eye to these folks and wash our hands of them. I think the same goes for those who contract the disease through sex. Not everyone always makes a wise decision, and sometimes lapses in judgement happen. One lapse in judgement, or even a broken condom, and you risk HIV infection. Not all infected persons are notorious bed hoppers who have engaged in ridiculously, consistently impulsive behavior.

Part of the work of the GMHC is to provide services for those living with HIV and AIDS. It's not a disease that moves quickly, and I don't think an individual's life becomes worthless or is forfeit as soon as they get a positive result from a clinic or doctor. It's also important to note that AIDS Walk does a lot of work in terms of spreading awareness about prevention whether that comes in terms of condoms, safe sex talks, or emergency PrEP and PEP medication. I think they may agree with you! It's tragic that there are plenty of ways to prevent HIV/AIDS and yet people don't. Part of their work is to change that narrative. My generation has actually seen a spike in new infections because too many of us are uniformed, and the GMHC can help recognize and nullify this trend.

You're free to give time and money to whoever you want, and like I said, I'm glad that you think pediatric AIDS foundations are worthy causes because they are. It's all one big fight, and I think soon we'll be able to eliminate this disease altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi_Regis wrote:
TommyP wrote:
Hi_Regis wrote:
TommyP wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Judgey McJudgerson.
Shall we include - have sex with someone who secretly cheats on you? Or perhaps, get a blood transfusion from an infected donor? Or how about *making a mistake*? I know, us pure people get to laugh at the death struggles of our weaker brethren, but some people might have a bit of compassion for people suffering from grave illnesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Judgey McJudgerson.
Shall we include - have sex with someone who secretly cheats on you? Or perhaps, get a blood transfusion from an infected donor? Or how about *making a mistake*? I know, us pure people get to laugh at the death struggles of our weaker brethren, but some people might have a bit of compassion for people suffering from grave illnesses.

Not to mention addiction is an illness also. Healthy rational people don't share needles.

Now I've gone and responded to a something I didn't want to respond to so as not to take this thread any farther to a bad place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I met my goal! I've raised $2,550 for AIDS Walk this year. Thanks to those of you who helped, I appreciate the support and I think the money will do a lot of good.

I'm still fundraising as the actual walk doesn't happen 'till May 17th, but I feel accomplished and humbled by the folks in my life who donated. Thank you so much again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.