10 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on cheese rolling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucy Belle Guthrie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My partner and I were setting our new copy of Downwood Tales up last night and (having not played any Mice & Mystics in a while) decided to refresh our minds with the rules.
Now, we're a bit confused after seeing various answers regarding when you get cheese so thought I'd ask here!

It says in the rules that mice get however many cheese they roll while attacking or defending and the surge wheel gets however many cheese that minions roll during attacking and defending.
Does the attack need to be a successful attack for any cheese to be rewarded?

An example scenario:
Lily makes a ranged attack against a rat with her bow using 3 dice and rolls 2 cheese and a sword.
- Does she get the cheese regardless of the fact that she did not roll a bow and successfully hit the rat?
- Or (while it was intended as an attack) does she disregard the cheese rolled as the rat didn't receive any hits?

I don't know if anyone else has been wondering this or if it's all just down to interpretation but if there are any clarifications floating around we'd really appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misschibi wrote:

No.

Lily gets the cheese but sadly her arrows miss the target completely. To make matters worse, the rat, gets to defend nonetheless and might roll cheese to be added to the wheel.

edit: ninjad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Lily gets the cheese but sadly her arrows miss the target completely. To make matters worse, the rat, gets to defend nonetheless and might roll cheese to be added to the wheel.

This is incorrect. If there are no potential hits, don't roll for defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucy Belle Guthrie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
AernoutMJC wrote:
misschibi wrote:

No.

edit: ninjad

It was our understanding that in the rules it says a mouse or minion only roll defense if there is at least 1 potential hit?

Example scenarios:
- Lily rolls 2 cheese and 1 bow, she gets 2 cheese (as people have stated above) and attempts to make 1 hit. The minion rolls defense (putting cheese on the minion wheel if rolled).

- Lily rolls 3 bows. The minion has only 1 health so cannot defend all 3 hits but still rolls defense for potential cheese on the minion wheel.

- Lily rolls 1 cheese and 2 swords, she gets 1 cheese and the attack is considered missed as she is ranged. The minion does not roll for defense as no hits were actually rolled.

With the responses above to our cheese query and after going through the rulebook this is how we were interpreting battle.
Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucy Belle Guthrie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sydcomebak wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

Ah just saw this as I posted my last bit, thanks for clarifying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucy, all of that looked correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucy Belle Guthrie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's great, thanks! can't wait to get home and play it tonight now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were asking about this laugh:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

That's going to make the game a tad easier Tx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.