Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't frequent the FFG site:

There are several threads on the FFG message board about the unbalancing effect that polymorph has with the new blue quests.

Polymorph (Level II, instant 2 mana: At start of first round ofcombat: Unequip polymorph to defeat 1 independent creature in this combat)

The problem is that this allows a level 2 mage to defeat blue infernals (7/12/14) for 2 mana, when quest cards like born of fire would let them get 6 gold/ 4xp/ 2 green and 1 purple treasure.

The fix proposed (on the message board) is that the creature is removed, rather than defeated (so no reward). This sounds like a good solution to me. Anyone else want to comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baaaaa! Baaaa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the spirit of the Polymorph spell is to simply remove the target. In the original version of the game, blue monsters simply served as an obstacle and the spell was just a manner to overcome such obstacles. In my play group, we will implement "removing" the monster rather than "defeating" it until a better (or official) soltuion is proposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Ahlstrom
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to post a message about this. In my game last night, a level 2 mage was able to jump to nearly level five in one turn of polymorphing a Doom Guard and an Infernal which allowed him to finish two powerful blue quests with amazing rewards. Needless to say, this player won by a long shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Janiv wrote:
I was just about to post a message about this. In my game last night, a level 2 mage was able to jump to nearly level five in one turn of polymorphing a Doom Guard and an Infernal which allowed him to finish two powerful blue quests with amazing rewards. Needless to say, this player won by a long shot.

How the heck did an Infernal and Doom Guard get on the board when the characters are level 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
Janiv wrote:

How the heck did an Infernal and Doom Guard get on the board when the characters are level 2?

Perhaps they were pulling red quests for the purpose of getting the blue creatures out.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Ahlstrom
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
Janiv wrote:

Good question. One of the destiny cards we drew early in the game spawned a blue infernal and doom guard. The mage took the flight point up to them and polymorphed the doom guard. This allowed him to put his character token on the destiny card and when that card expires it gave him some nice experience, gold, and items.

There was also blue quest card out that had nice rewards for killing an infernal. The mage also went and polymorphed this creature. Reading my first post again, I was wrong to say one turn. It took him two turns to go from level two to several experience short of level five.

I wouldn't expect this to happen all the time since the destiny card (forgot what it was called but can pull the game out and find it if it helps) was the key to it occurring. However, it did encourage the mage to start drawing harder quests in hopes of spawning powerful blue creatures to polymorph for easy rewards.

Edit: Found the destiny card. It's called "We Guard the Way" and spawns a blue infernal at Plaguewood and a blue doom guard at Northpass Tower. The reward for killing one of these creatures is: 10 gold, 9 xp, draw three green star items and keep one, 2 square items and keep one, and one circle item and keep one. Most of these items were sold for gold which allowed him to train up a lot of skills.

The blue quest reward for the infernal is 6 gold, 4 xp, 1 green star item, another green star item, and 2 draws from the circle items. Again, most of these items were sold for more gold which allowed training and purchasing of lower-level equipment to share with other faction members (traded to them in later rounds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
nyhotep wrote:
The fix proposed (on the message board) is that the creature is removed, rather than defeated (so no reward). This sounds like a good solution to me. Anyone else want to comment?

We use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.