Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live quite remotely from my family and don't get to see them that often. I have a 12 year old nephew who up til now has only lived and breathed football (OK you Americans, just think Soccer if I write football again). Christmas presents have been easy as you can buy anything with Arsenal on it.

Apparently he has recently started to get interested in board games and dragons. However I would add that my family have a zero attention span and in the past have only tried the Game of Life, Operation, Monopoly sort of things (oh God I'm so ashamed) where the rules fall in as the game progresses.

So we have a problem. If his interest is to be cultivated we need to get him away from the PAGAN SCUM type games that pollute his house but somehow introduce something with credibility that the rest of my tribe have half a chance of playing with him and might lead onto bigger and better things. If it had a dragon and/ or a football in it too that would be double bubble. I'd need to be able to explain the rules on Xmas day so no one would be daunted by a multipage rule book.

At this stage all I can think is SoC, but I suspect even this would be too deep for some of the shallower family members.

Help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StreetSoccer is a quick and really good two-player football game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's already interested enough that he's "becoming interested in board games" I'd keep away from adding the soccer theme. It's pretty common for early teenagers to view their past interests as childish. Let it be something unrelated unless he asks specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey That's My Fish could be something that would be good to begin with and you could replace the penguins with fish eating ice dragons.

I think that Puerto Rico is something that could be introduced even to non-gamers with short attention span but others might not share that opinion.

Perhaps you'll just be best off to play it safe and use the regular gateway game Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgin
United Kingdom
Srevington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend EMERALD by Rudiger Dorn.

It's simple to explain & easy to learn, yet has a good level of depth for the more serious gamer and possibilities to mess up the other players moves!
Move your knights in to the dragons cave to steal treasure & gems whilst avoiding getting caught by the dragon. If she catches you then you either sacrifice your knight as a nice canned meal or bribe the dragon with some of her own gold that you've stolen!

Ticks all the boxes:
easy to explain & learn,
good gateway game for your nephew,
will keep you entertained,
has a dragon!

Hope you have success cultivating his interest! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Even though he might be a little old for it, there's always Battleball shake

I would only reiterate what someone else already said:

Engage him in 2-player fantasy stuff away from the rest of your family.

How about Dungeon Twister? Or LOTR: The Confrontation? Or Blue Moon?

Then maybe get him to play the same game with one of his friends. THEN introduce him and that friend to something more than a 2-player game. Maybe at that point he'd be ready for SoC.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silke, that is incredibly generous and kind, thank you very much. I shall have a think and drop you a line.

Thanks to everybody else for their suggestions also.

Cheers

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silkstone wrote:
Hello Nick,

Nephew solution:

We will give you one free game of your choice. Either Football Tactics 2006, which is the best Football board game on the market. Or Ninja Galaxy, which is a very fun space battle! He can even have (for free) the Expansion: The Ninja Masters, if the base game is not enough for him.

As ever Stein are top notch in their generosity! Definitely go for the FT2006 - as a footie fan your nephew will really like it. He can even paint the meeples red and white to make them into the mighty gooners!

Ahhh, Arsenal and gaming, the lad will go far....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silkstone wrote:

We will give you one free game of your choice. Either Football Tactics 2006, which is the best Football board game on the market. Or Ninja Galaxy, which is a very fun space battle! He can even have (for free) the Expansion: The Ninja Masters, if the base game is not enough for him.

Oh hey, my nephew, who has, by coincidence, the same name and address as myself, is way into both Ninjas and Galaxies! Anyone know what I could get for me him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oskari wrote:
StreetSoccer is a quick and really good two-player football game.

Great Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome floors, or the new Friedeman Friese game out (can't remember the title) may be worth a look. No footy involvement tho...

And off the top of my head around dragons, Aladdin's Dragons is meant to be tops, but I've not played it. I think there's a copy in Aldershot (15 mins from Gfd)

There's something about Arsenal football and (no) success in Europe going round my head, but it's been a bad day and I can't make it come out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were 13, I would think Nexus Ops was pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shill much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys are 14 and 12. They'll play anything. As far as I can tell, they like: Munchkin, Bang, Cash 'n Guns, Give me the Brain, Robo Rally, Dungeon, Carcassonne and Pitch Car.
I'd avoid Puerto Rico for non-gamers, but Carcassonne is a good 'real' game for beginners and plays just as well with 2 as with 5 (but different tactics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm that my nephew got his game and he is chuffed to bits with it.

Thanks again to Silke for the very generous gift.

Cheers

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The afformentioned Battleball (if you can find it) and Heroscape would top my lists. Why? Because both can/could be found at shops like Toys R Us...right next to the other games his family knows. It'll legitimize them in their minds (since that seems to be an issue). I've not played Nexus Ops, but ditto for that, as well as House on the Hill, and you should be able to get those on clearance at places like that since WotC/Hasbro won't print any more.

Battleball because it's sports...more American football than football, but it's also a decent minis game. And Heroscape because it as a dragon. And both do have simple enough rules for the Game of Life crowd, while allowing enough complexity that hard-core tabletop players can enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik Wunderlich
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Drakon from ffg, its got dragons is fun and easy, but you can adapt special rules and the other, also it's a great entrance into these Games. Runebound also jumps to my mind, its really easy and can be playe by many people, also you can customize it. but it's slightly deeper into the genre. Arkham Horror would also be a good alternative.

Gee a lot of Fantasy flight Games...

To add something not from FFg (at least here in germany):

Dragonriders or Beowulf jump also to my mind. Dragonriders, is Fun and fast, and you can play it with 6 people, and Beowulf similar but a little heavier in game play as an alternative to the FFG Range.

Another but only two player option could be Battlelore, light rules, but a big rulebook. and only playable for two.

Anotehr ligth alternative would be some Games from the munchkin range, easy but fun to play, also you can get a theme if you choose bites, starmunchikin, supermunchkin or one of the other munchkin games. But for this you'd probably need a little bit of knowledge to find it fun.

Regards Frederik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Shill much?

Are you asking someone in particular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.