Hide
8 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Human Torch Johnny Storm Ability clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Wells
msg tools
hi there im sorry if this has been answered else where but i am unable to find the answer im looking for my question with this card is on johnny storms Card reads "While Human Torch is active, each time you field a character, Human Torch deals 1 damage to your opponent and one to a target character (not 1 damage per Human Torch die)." dose this mean if i roll 4 black widows would this effect happen each time i field her or only once. im finding it hard to see what is the character in this case the card or the die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Each character die fielded.

They don't have be unique or distinct from one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Tomilowitz
msg tools
The damage is for each die you field, even if it is a duplicate of a character you are fielding in the same turn.

If it helps, read Johnny Storm's ability as this:

While Human Torch is active, each time you field a character die, Human Torch deals 1 damage to your opponent and one to a target character (not 1 damage per Human Torch die).

Reason for the word “die” is it clarifies the effect. The rationale is that game effects pertaining to attacking, blocking, fielding or being knocked out, in this context, are usually applicable to a die and not a character (i.e. duplicates), since only dice can perform those actions.

Basis for this reasoning is from an updated ruling on the Wizkids forum, dated 15Feb2015, Uncanny X-Men Namor The Sub Mariner:
Quote:
Leave me alone: If it is something that requires it to be the only thing in the field, then *character* is typically actually referring to individual dice and it will consider other dice, even if they are duplicates, to be present for purposes of determining whether the effect will trigger. This occurs on cards like the solo attack Wolverines, in the future cards like this will typically use language similar to, "If a Wolverine die attacks alone it cannot be blocked."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Each character die fielded.

They don't have be unique or distinct from one another.

Would anyone care to elaborate on defending against this one? I'm thinking of the obvious Imprisoned...Any other (likely) options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hulk (Jade Giant or Green Goliath) is a common counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
The global on Magic Missile (bolt) or Mjolnir (bolt bolt) deals one damage to a character, use it to hit JS and take him out.

Polymorph you could swap JS out of the field for another non-sidekick in your opponent's used pile.

Hulk Green Goliath also works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Missile? What is that nonsense?...jk. I appreciate how THORough you are

I've haven't seen anyone combine marvel and non-marvel dice master sets yet...but I do foresee Batman joining my teams in the near future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rare nova + magic missile global + ice man global + professor x global = mix and serve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.