Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Oliver
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I recently picked up a copy of Quicksand, after reading several suggestions here on the Geek that it could be a fun game for couples. It seemed like it would suit me and my wife well, so tonight I opened up the new acquisition and briefed my wife Beth on the rules.

The first game found Beth and I in high bluff mode. I determined early that I'd move both my token and another nearly simultaneous to the end, and hope that the token I chose to move aside from my own was not my wife's. This worked out well - I got a lot of cards in both my color (red) and the token I'd chosen as my dummy (white).

As we entered the final stretch, I discarded 3 white cards in hopes of getting a few more reds or a wild or two for the final push. As it happens, I moved the white player and my red player to within a few spaces of the end. Either I've got horrible luck or my wife is good at deception - she controlled the white player and won the game with a laydown of 2 whites and 2 wilds to blow right by me. She graciously thanked me for moving the white pawn so well on her behalf. We both felt this was pretty fun and we had some laughs, so we gave it another shot.

In game two, I resolved to do better at determining which chip was my wife's. In this game, I was the yellow token, and unfortunately for me, I received very little yellow cards. I revised my strategy and started playing black and red towards the end, hoping to throw my wife off the scent. That worked great - she quicksanded both at every opportunity and started moving my chubby yellow guy from the back to the middle of the pack. I decided to make an overt attempt to seem like I was black as we entered the final stretch, and I had a fistful of yellows that I was ready to lay down. However as I decided this, my wife (noticing my favoring of red and black) made a great show of wondering aloud if I was red or black, and said, "I don't think you're red. I'll call your bluff!" and moved the red token perilously close to the end, then quicksanded red on her next turn. That set up my red flag, but it was too late. She was in fact controlling red, and my poor yellow guy never stood a chance.

Game three was more of the same, although I did get her to move my token nearly to the end before she again blew by me with a fistful of hoarded wild cards. By now we had determined that playing wilds early on helped throw your opponent off the scent, so in this game it was incredibly hard to determine who was who. Nearly all 6 tokens were close to the end on this one.

In game four, I was again yellow. This time, however, I had a good selection of yellow and wild cards in my first few hands. I gave up the pretense of bluffing and used these cards to move yellow into a huge lead from the pack - probably 5 or 6 squares ahead. I ended up mired in quicksand almost continuously from then on out, but was able to block and plug up the other squares with some quicksand play of my own until I could make the final push.

End resut, Beth: 3, Brad: 1. We had a great time and this was an excellent light, quick, fun game. We'll definitely be playing it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great little game that gets some fair play time at home. It works well with our family of 5 as it works well for all ages.
No real reading and not to deep, plus my 7 year old can bluff!

We usually get a different winner each game which keeps it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a great little filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.