Samurai» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Seven samurai reasons why this is a classic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
That's my perp! Futsie, all right - crazy as a coot! He's got to be stopped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 60 years after its original release Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai is hailed as a classic film, its legacy as strong today as it ever was. Reiner Knizia’s Samurai may be a mere whippersnapper in comparison, but its 1998 release date does make it a venerable elder in the fast moving world of modern board game design.

Far from showing its age Samurai has in fact matured like a fine rice wine, and if any of Mr Knizia’s games are destined for classic status then this must be it.

The one word that continually springs to mind when I try and describe the merits of Samurai is elegant. Here’s why;

d10-1The classic ancient Japanese stylized game board and the pleasingly ergonomic, glossy playing pieces give the game a wonderful Eastern atmosphere.
d10-2The game only takes seconds to set up and a couple of minutes to put away.
d10-3By scaling the size of the play area Samurai has the distinction of being a great 2, 3 or 4-player experience without compromise.
d10-4The rules are simple and clear, without ambiguity.
d10-5The scoring mechanic has a clever twist, forcing the player to balance domination of a single faction against the need to collect in other areas.
d10-6The learning curve feels very natural. Initially, you will just be placing tiles with the immediate goal of capturing faction pieces, but soon you will be trying to predict your opponent’s moves whilst at the same time disguising your own intentions.
d10-7The game plays so quick, maintaining tension from start to finish.

Will I still be playing Samurai in 60 years’ time? I’d like to think so, but that really depends on the NHS keeping me going past the hundred mark or transferring my brain to a vat of bubbling sake.

Here is a list of all my reviews, some with puns that I really should be ashamed of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. A classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
playing pieces give the game a wonderful Eastern atmosphere.

Phew! So glad you avoided having to use the word "Oriental".whistle

I agree with all your points, and I particularly relish the degree of tension and anxiety this game engenders during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shepherd-Jones
United Kingdom
Walton on Thames
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Definitely my favourite game! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a bonus, the playtime on the box is uncharacteristically a lowball figure for modern board games. 45 min is how long it takes for a 4p game, and even then, it can still be lower. 2p games from what I can recall take 10 to 20 min each
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Futsie wrote:
The game only takes seconds to set up and a couple of minutes to put away.

Or 10 minutes, if you're puzzle-challenged like our group ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean, but it isn't as bad as La Isla
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Futsie wrote:
The one word that continually springs to mind when I try and describe the merits of Samurai is elegant.

The basic premise of Samurai is really cool and it is a great game.

But I feel that the scoring is problematic and makes the game a little less than elegant. The first tie-breaker is rather counter-intuitive, and tends to come into play quite often (most pieces in types excluding the one you have the most in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you are saying, but for me the scoring is much more elegant than most modern games were you seem to score for absolutely everything you do apart from actually opening the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With four players what's described as the first tie breaker really is the rule, winning two majorities is the exceptional case. With two players, winning two majorities is quite likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Futsie wrote:
I see what you are saying, but for me the scoring is much more elegant than most modern games were you seem to score for absolutely everything you do apart from actually opening the box.

To me, one of the most interesting things about this game is the scoring is the most difficult and time consuming thing to explain. Usually, it's the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Futsie wrote:

I hear Feld's working on a new tittle that will totally redefine the point salad concept, and in that one, you can also score vp's by opening the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.