Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got to play this game I bought over 2 months ago. I had a Game night at my house with around 20 people showing up and only one other true gamer and several "Risk players" or "future eurogamers". One group of 5 was playing Ticket to Ride Europe for 3 hours then Bang! for 2 hours. They seemed to be having fun. I got to play No Thanks!, Hey! that's my Fish, For Sale, Mission: Red Planet, and this game Modern Art. I have to say M:RP was probably my favorite of the night with MA a close second.

I had read the rules to MA a couple times and even got the player aid here at the geek and had 4 copies laminated. So we went through the rules with 5 players and we were all saying, "I have no idea what to bid," for the first few rounds. But, as the favorite artists started to show up things started to make sense. I think I need to play it a couple more times and read some posts here before I understand a strategy. I know I made one mistake. I threw up a fixed price painting for way to cheap that the player to my left bought and then played a double auction by the same artist. As the seasoned passed Karl Gitter was the premire artist with Lite Metal in close second and Yoko seemed to always end up third the other two were almost totally ignored until the last round and Krypto finally scored 1st while Cristin failed to place at all.

The scores ended really close:
Matt 485,000
Jeff 465,000
Andrew 450,000
Myself 325,000
Jeremy 285,000

The whole time I thought Andrew was running away with it. I think he paid to much for a Christin in the last round to Matt and it ended up being worthless.

Definitely enjoyed the game I know it probably won't come out much with my groups since they are mostly non-gamers. The theme might be the saving grace to bring it out some more since I know a few arteests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report.

I've played MA over 20 times and it continues to hold a lot of interest, and I'd play it anytime.

It's game that's easy to introduce to nongamers. I've taught a number of nongamers, and at first they feel overwhelmed by not knowing how to bid, but by the end of their first game every one has been eager to play again.

A few things I've noticed about the scoring:

It's very, very difficult to predict who is going to win. In games with experienced players, it's not unusual to have the top three players finish with scores within 10,000 of each other.

The winner generally has a score of slightly more than 400,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Aparicio
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first (and for the moment the one) time playing Modern Art was very funny !!

When we were about to start, I thought it would be tense, difficult, mathematical,... but fun?? I was very pleased !!

The laughs came from figuring out as we were real gallery owners:

" Mr. Fran (myself) presents a picture of Mr. Krypto, a gourgeous new artist. You've got 100.000 $ in order to trade this wonderful piece of art into your gallery.

Mmmmm, what about 1.000 $? (my brother's proposal)"

We all expected big amounts of money to pass from hand to hand, and this "generous" offer for the picture made all start laughing !!!
Well, next offer was 2.000 $, and the next one 3.000 $...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.