1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best games with tons of dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a game with a ton of dice! What would you say is the best game out there? Quarriors? Roll for the Galaxy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I once rolled about 130 dice in a close combat attack by my Orks in warhammer 40K. That game certainly meets the "tons of dice" criteria.

But probably not "best game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fisher
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
As a fellow lover of all things dicey, I have some thoughts.

Dungeon Dice is sort of like Munchkin, but everything is dice: the monsters are dice, your levels are dice, your equipment is dice, all of it! All the dice are really nicely made custom dice, and the game has a bunch of expansions which add, you guessed it, more dice.

Dungeon Roll from Tasty Minstrel Games is one of my favorite light, quick-playing dice games ever. It's a mini dungeon delve with some beautiful custom dice representing your party and the hazards of the dungeon. Variable player powers make this one even more fun!

Roll for the Galaxy is the dicetization (that's a word, I swear) of the popular Race for the Galaxy. It's a little bit solitaire for some people, but we really like it in my group (my website, Gameosity, did a review of it here http://gameosity.com/2015/03/17/roll-for-the-galaxy-review/ )

Also, Martian Dice is like Zombie Dice, but better! Also, Zombie Dice, I guess, but get Martian Dice instead.

Quarriors is good, but I get a little bored with it. The Dicemasters games (we reviewed the YuGiOh version) are also pretty fun, especially as 1-vs-1 duels.

That's just off the top of my head. Any criteria besides lots of dice? Gameplay style, theme, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not my favorite game, but lots of dice to choose from... Ciub

Might be worth a look before buy.

we play it, not often.

M

EDIT: hahaha... I just saw SDemon has Ciub for trade!
Yeah, maybe a good skip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Quarriors! as a 2-player game. I think it loses a little bit of its charm with 3 or 4 players but it still boasts some really neat-looking dice and is good fun.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple might be a nice take on a "real-time dice chucker" for you.

Perhaps Ninja Dice is worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to roll older dice games? You play Frag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games of Pandemic: The Cure and think it's pretty fun... Everyone's role dice are different and you use one type of dice to manipulate the other type of dice... I dig it.

I also like that despite being all about rolling dice, the cooperative strategy you employ [almost] completely outweighs the randomness of the dice themselves. As much as I like dice, dice games are often "too random" for my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want a game with the most dice rolls per minute, try Space Cadets: Dice Duel !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is

The Cards of Cthulhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Want a game with the most dice rolls per minute, try Space Cadets: Dice Duel !

Of course! Not sure how I forgot about that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quarriors! is the first game that comes to mind.. I've played my friends copy a few times... fun game, but seems anti-climactic as we all spent so much time building up resources to acquire the Dragon die, then the game ended without the Dragon ever coming out.. I would probably play the game more, but the dice are so small, they're hard to read. that takes alot of enjoyment out of the game for me.

Two of my favorite games:

Alien Frontiers: doesn't have a "ton" of dice, but you do roll 5 or 6 dice every turn.

Quantum: not alot of dice rolling, but the dice are used as movement tokens and for battle strength. The dice value also dictates how far you can move and gives special powers. So if you build up your fleet, you can pull off some interesting combos.

Lastly:

Try SUTAKKU... we didnt buy the actual game, we just used a bunch of dice I had on hand and used the rules I downloaded from BGG.. Not a ton of dice rolling at one time, but alot of rolling in sets of 3 dice at a time to build up your tower. I'm not really a big fan of push your luck type games, but this was fun and exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
I've played a few games of Pandemic: The Cure and think it's pretty fun... Everyone's role dice are different and you use one type of dice to manipulate the other type of dice... I dig it.

I also like that despite being all about rolling dice, the cooperative strategy you employ [almost] completely outweighs the randomness of the dice themselves. As much as I like dice, dice games are often "too random" for my taste.

Got this game from my BGG Secret Santa last Christmas, and it's been a huge hit with us. Between me and my wife, we've probably introduced it to a dozen or so friends...at least two of whom have bought their own copy.

It is very much about the cooperative play, which helps to mitigate some of the randomness of bad dice (thought we've had games where we've died three or four turns in by absolutely sheer terrible luck), and because everybody has their own unique dice to play their roles, it also does a pretty good job avoiding the Coop Alpha Gamer plague.

I tend to also bring along my copy of Skyline to game nights as a nice little filler game, though I can't really say it's great at much more than filling the "got ten minutes and wanna throw around some dice?" niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
For quick and easy I go with Dungeon Roll and for a more rewarding experience I go with The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game, both mainly solo.

For group play we do like King of Tokyo though it doesn't have tons of dice, just a good amount of dice rolling. Same with BANG! The Dice Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Castle Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
Want to roll older dice games? You play Frag

No way. Real Old School is Titan.

And Valley games re-released it in 2008.

A massive monster slugfest, with dice measure by the pound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote for Roll For The Galaxy, Lords of Vegas, and then Nexus Ops, in decreasing dice count order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+2 Dungeon Dice and Dungeon Dice: Guilds

+1 Ninja Dice and Ninja Dice: Kage Masters

+1 SUTAKKU not really loads of dice (just 12) but get the original! These dice are the perfect weight and quality if you enjoy rolling dice as a sensory experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Las Vegas is my dice game of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark angel
United Kingdom
East Riding of Yorkshire
East Riding
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with floating market by griffon-eagle games hot off kickstarter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty partial to Hunters of Arcfall

Roll for the Galaxy is pretty amazing too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with a classic - Stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino is pretty cool. And it also has nice ceramic domino-type tiles. Has similar mechanics to Martian Dice, but more going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of my non gamer friends love Castle Dice. Lots of dice for a relatively light game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Dice anybody?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy gets my vote.

DICEcapades comes with the greatest diversity of dice (and quite a bit of them too) but it isn't really a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.