Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Won this game at the Geek 2006 con, read the rules, and can't wait to play it. How can you NOT like a game with both auctions AND slave sacrifice to heathen gods? I do have a few questions on the rules, and am interested in how others have handled these situations.

Rule 7.7.1.1, last sentence, reads: "No army may move more than once per turn". This seems to conflict with the phase 7 card "Diversion Manoervre" which says "Add an extra Army mouvement marker in your color in the card reserve". The army movement markers trigger army movement.
My solution: Since this game has other cards which trump the rules, I've decided the card must allow one player's army to act twice in a turn.

Rule 7.1, penultimate sentence, reads: "No identical card may be played twice in a row, with the exception of 'Raids'. This seems to conflict with rule 7.7.2.6, third sentence, which reads (sic): "First, each player announces if he is using a Arrival of reinforcements card."
My solution: The 7.1 rule should read "No identical card my be played twice in a row BY A SINGLE PLAYER, with the exception of 'Raids'.

Rule 7.7.1.2, last sentence of the second paragraph, reads (sic): "An army must always end its movement on one of its own territories".
This makes no sense at all, as it would prevent anyone from attacking neutral territories. My solution: I'm ignoring this sentence.

Your thoughts are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

I have played Azteca a couple of times and I really like it, especially all the different mechanics in the game and the sacrifices! Here's my take on your remarks:

Quote:
Rule 7.7.1.1, last sentence, reads: "No army may move more than once per turn". This seems to conflict with the phase 7 card "Diversion Manoervre" which says "Add an extra Army mouvement marker in your color in the card reserve". The army movement markers trigger army movement.
My solution: Since this game has other cards which trump the rules, I've decided the card must allow one player's army to act twice in a turn.

I don't recall if this is in the rules, but my interpretation of this was still that the one movement rule supersedes the card, so the additional movement marker just increases the chance of one of your markers being drawn first, and your last marker would go unused. But if anyone authorized to answer can give some clarity here, I would welcome that as well!

Quote:
Rule 7.1, penultimate sentence, reads: "No identical card may be played twice in a row, with the exception of 'Raids'. This seems to conflict with rule 7.7.2.6, third sentence, which reads (sic): "First, each player announces if he is using a Arrival of reinforcements card."
My solution: The 7.1 rule should read "No identical card my be played twice in a row BY A SINGLE PLAYER, with the exception of 'Raids'.

I would agree with this interpretation, have played it like that as well.

Quote:
Rule 7.7.1.2, last sentence of the second paragraph, reads (sic): "An army must always end its movement on one of its own territories".
This makes no sense at all, as it would prevent anyone from attacking neutral territories. My solution: I'm ignoring this sentence.

Actually it does make sense, if you interpret "end its movement" slightly more broadly: after a lost battle your army (or what's left of it ) must retreat to one of your territories, thereby ending its movement in own territory! Of course, if you won the battle, the territory it was already standing is now its own, so the rule still works!

Have fun playing!

Ugur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Actually it does make sense, if you interpret "end its movement" slightly more broadly: after a lost battle your army (or what's left of it ) must retreat to one of your territories, thereby ending its movement in own territory! Of course, if you won the battle, the territory it was already standing is now its own, so the rule still works!

Yes, if one reads "end its' movement" as "end its' turn" it makes sense.

I'm still undecided about the "extra army order" marker, but can certainly see your interpretation. Pascal Bernard, where are you?

Thanks for the quick response!
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Knight said:
"I don't recall if this is in the rules, but my interpretation of this was still that the one movement rule supersedes the card, so the additional movement marker just increases the chance of one of your markers being drawn first, and your last marker would go unused. But if anyone authorized to answer can give some clarity here, I would welcome that as well!"

Just had an email from the designer, Pascal Bernard, and you are right! The extra movement chip only increases your odds, it does NOT allow one to move an army twice!
Thanks!
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin LeBon
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

this paragraph is talking about lake crossing. an army must end its movement in a controlled territory after crossing a lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin LeBon
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reading the original french rules, i found this:

Une armée doit toujours finir ses déplacements sur un territoire.

translating: An army must always finish its displacements on a territory.
(any territory, no matter whether it is controlled or not)

obviously there is a flaw in the english rules
this paragraph only prevents an army to stop on a lake, but NOT from invading a territory using naval movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording of the rules implies that a combat only involves 1 army on each side, plus possibly the Reserve. So what happens where the same player has more than one army in the same territory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.