Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a Game Night last night with around 20 people showing up with only one other true gamer besides myself. I started off the evening teaching a group Ticket to Ride (get 'em hooked the a classic gateway game). Then I played a few fillers (No thanks!, Hey! that's my fish, For Sale) with other people while they played that, along with bumper pool and ping pong. They played for like 3 hours! They must have been suffering from analysis paralysis. So anyway, once they finished there I anounced that I was playing Mission: Red Planet and I needed 5 to play and anyone else can play a party game. So I got 5 and we started the game.

It was my first time so I was constantly reading rules but for the most part it was pretty intuitive. One missed rule was how Discovery cards get laid down, the Scientist card said Draw an Event card OR look at a Discovery card. I assumed there was another character got to lay them down. So later we threw down the discovery cards (whoever already played a Scientist).

I played Travel agent first which worked. I thought things were going good for me but then people started picking on me and sent some of my astronauts to the Lost in Space memorial. I probably played the wrong card the second two rounds and by the fifth round I was way behind with only one majority. Matt was doing well and was being quiet about it. None of the other players seemed to notice and I couldn't think of how to hurt his chances because I wasn't interested in the areas he was controlling because of my bonus cards. I should've been more vocal to the other players about taking him out because it seemed like he cruised to victory.

I was a little disappointed there wasn't a scoring track with the game because finally tallying was a nightmare with the bonuses and such. I'm not even sure what everyone had I know Matt had around 75 and everyone else was in the 20-40 range and I ended up with 28.

Now that I understand it a little better I can't wait to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 5p for the first time (first time with 5 that is, I've played a few times with 4 and once with 3 as well) on Thursday, and I felt like it dragged or took too long. Like many games of this type, trying to play with 5 players is really pushing the limit. I'd recommend 3 or 4 next time, and I likely won't play with 5 anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would 5p seem to take much longer that 4p? Since players determine their characters simultaneously, there should be minimal difference there. And each player's turn is very quick, since you only place 1-3 astronauts and perform another action specific to your character.

Since each player's actions can have a significant effect on your position and strategy, I would think you'd be very interested in each player's actions. This is definitely no multiplayer solitare game. In my experience that makes this game seem to be over too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.