Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Lockard
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG pages says that Neanderthal is a 90 minute game, but I recently read a review that it took someone 3.5 hours to finish this game. Is 3.5 hours an anomaly, or a common occurrence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Bennett-Daggett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game is supposed to be generally comparable to Greenland. Based on my experience so far with that game, I think 3.5 hours would definitely be out of the ordinary. Our Greenland games have all been between one and two hours. If we had not used the stripped-down beginner rules for our first game, it's possible that could have gone over the two hour mark, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again using the Greenland comparison, could maybe see a game hitting the three hour mark for the first time. But after that, yeah 90 mins seems pretty reasonable,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oats_60056 wrote:
The BGG pages says that Neanderthal is a 90 minute game, but I recently read a review that it took someone 3.5 hours to finish this game. Is 3.5 hours an anomaly, or a common occurrence?

Can I ask you where is this review? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Bennett-Daggett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It looks like it comes from a user comment here (currently the first one): https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/171662?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be me.

Our game ran long. For two of us, it was our first game of Neanderthal, but we are all three experienced Greenland players. Still, I expect the game to be faster next time.

However, the main reason for the game running long was the number of rounds we played. Unlike Greenland, which is always 10 rounds, some of the event cards in Neanderthal add an extra event card to the bottom of the event card pile, essentially increasing the number of rounds by one.

Our game went *15* rounds, and it really wore out its welcome at the end. I liked the game well enough, but like Greenland, 10 rounds seems to be about ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Bennett-Daggett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
That would be me.

Our game ran long. For two of us, it was our first game of Neanderthal, but we are all three experienced Greenland players. Still, I expect the game to be faster next time.

However, the main reason for the game running long was the number of rounds we played. Unlike Greenland, which is always 10 rounds, some of the event cards in Neanderthal add an extra event card to the bottom of the event card pile, essentially increasing the number of rounds by one.

Our game went *15* rounds, and it really wore out its welcome at the end. I liked the game well enough, but like Greenland, 10 rounds seems to be about ideal.

Thanks for the additional clarification. That does seem like a change with a potentially large impact. Like you, I would agree that 10 rounds usually ends up seeming like the right time for a Greenland game to end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
That would be me.

I have done some play testing for Neanderthal… I know in one game, the last 3 rounds added on 3 new events, which added on 3 more events, which added on another 2 or something. I think it closed out finally at 18, then, I think it gave me one more, and yeah, it was a bit much.

I haven't played some of the most recent revisions (with an interstate move, and some other crazy life stuff), but I'm sure the final version will have a nice polished sheen. I trust Phil with his designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a few play tests of Neanderthal as a single-player playing all three species using the solitaire rules.

My experience is that most games are between 1.5 and 2 hours.

It is similar, yet very different from Greenland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the current version (which is very close to final), only 5 of the 20+ event cards add another round to the game, so 15 rounds will be the longest the game can go. I also expect that once the players know the game, playtime will be in the neighbourhood of 1.5-2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.