Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently seen various references to the technique of 'skulking' in ASL(SK). I am a wargamer, but far from being a hardcore grognard. I'm still new enough to major games such as ASL to not know a lot about specific strategies such as this. I mean, I just figured out recently that leaving leaders back so that broken units can rout back a hex to be rallied is a good idea!

What exactly is 'skulking'? From contextual clues, I've determined that is has something to do with leaving a hex with some kind of cover, then re-entering it later. Is this even close?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Look for this doc a guy wrote:

The Big Black Book of ASL Sleaze

"The act of moving out of enemy LOS during the MPh, often using assault movement, then advancing back into the original hex during the APh."

That sums it up. Of course you forsake the firegroup's firepower, but it's a method to keep an isolated firegroup alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advantages and disadvantages:

E---(F)x

Prep Fire Phase: (F)riendly unit cannot prep fire, because it is going to skulk (ie move).

Movement Phase: (F)riendly unit in a building assault moves to hex x. The (E)nemy unit cannot fire at x because the building blocks LOS.

Defensive Fire Phase: Again, the (E)nemy unit cannot fire at x because the building blocks LOS.

Advancing Fire Phase: (F)riendly unit cannot advance fire because it has no LOS to (E)nemy.

Advance Phase: (F)riendly unit advances back into building. (E)nemy unit cannot fire because it is not allowed at this point.

E---(F)x---E

If another (E)nemy unit has LOS to x, then skulking could be disasterous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Glenn G wrote:
Look for this doc a guy wrote:

The Big Black Book of ASL Sleaze

http://home.earthlink.net/~zasl/sleaze.html

Note that many of these "sleaze" tactics apply only to full ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the above webpage...

Car bomb sleaze

The act of moving an ammo vehicle or Goliath near an enemy unit and then setting it off with friendly fire. You must use OBA or Area Target Type to kill your own units.

I can hardly wait until I'm at the point to do something like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, everyone. Now that I know what it is, it doesn't seem amazingly great. Perhaps in a certain situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulus22 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, everyone. Now that I know what it is, it doesn't seem amazingly great. Perhaps in a certain situation.

Actually, it is a great tactic (and legal, despite the use of the term "sleaze") for the defender.

It's my turn. I get to move first. I move all my guys behind the buildings they were defending so you can't shoot at them. Then, I advance my guys back into the buildings at the end of my turn.

Now, you, as the attacker, can't effectively skulk ... because you have to move forward to obtain your objectives. So, you move in sight of the guys in the buildings, who can fire at you.

You'll rarely, if ever, see the side that needs to press the attack skulking. It will, 99.9% of the time, be the defender who does this. And any defender who doesn't do this is foolish. Why give the other guy free shots at your troops? Even if the building is the best cover, and provides the best DRM on the combat table, why risk the snake-eyes that kills or breaks everyone in the building?

Brien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also take into account that this tactic was used in playtesting, so if you play S2 War of the Rats without skulking you may find it unbalanced, but if you play it with skulking (as the playtesters did) you will probably find it balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh! I finally understand the power of this tactic. Woah. This is like a moment of ASL enlightenment. The lightbulb definitely went off. I can't wait to try this in my next game. Thanks for the continued clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.