3 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using minis for shadows of brimstone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Walsh
msg tools
badge
Does anyone own both games and has the skill/talent to make up cards for shadows of brimstone?

I love Cthulhu Wars as is, but I think I could get the models to the table more often if I use them in Shadows of Brimstone. They have the same size and theme, I think it would be awesome!

Has anyone tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had the same exact thoughts but haven't given it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Could be cool to go against traditional Lovecraftian enemies like the Nightgaunt, Flying Polyp, Shoggoth, etc, though the thing that would bother me would be the bases on the Cthulhu Wars figures. They're quite a bit bigger than the SoB minis, but that's just with how they look. How well do the circular bases match up against the SoB grid? I've never tried to put them side-by-side, but off the top of my head it seems like the Cthulhu Wars figures tend to be bigger. It's certainly doable but would take a lot of writing and playtesting to make, there's a helluva lot more stats to account for in SoB than Cthulhu Wars.

I'd assume we would want to make the abilities relate somehow relate back to their Cthulhu Wars counterparts? Suppose we look at the Undead from Yellow Sign faction for starters. I would suggest giving him a name change just because of how generic the name is and the potential to confuse the Enemy name with the keyword. Shambling Dead seems to capture the look of these guys, but whatever. His ability Zin Gaya transforms enemy Cultists in the same area into Undead. Likely we wouldn't want to just transform Heroes into Undead, so maybe he transforms dying enemies into fellow undead. Adding a non-Undead requirement keeps it from getting out of control, but the ability itself makes this guy into sort of mobile Corpse Pile that recycles Enemies.

Shambling Dead [CW Undead]
Medium
keyword Undead

Initiative 2
Move 3
Escape 4+

To Hit (Melee) 4+
Combat 2
Damage 4

Defense 4
Health 3

Abilities
Fear(1)

Zin Gaya
If a non-Undead Enemy is killed while adjacent to a Shambling Dead, roll a D6 for each adjacent Shambling Dead. On a roll of 4+, place a new Shambling Dead Enemy in it's place (in the space adjacent to the original Shambling Dead for Larger Enemies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.