Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Lubin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just finished setting up the board for the tractor works scenario. I am still new at SL and I have some questions about using the "?" markers. Are they available to be used at my discretion any where on the board or do I have to place them specifically in the buildings with the units that they are presented with on the scenario card?
I also have another question. I have gone through the first scenario a couple of times now and I believe that I am starting to get a grasp of the basic concept on how the rules are used. I still have a question about firing at a target in a building though. When I fire a unit or a MG at enemy units in another building, as long as I use the terrain effects modifier with all other unit or weapon factors there is a possibility that I can fire through that building (even if it is stone) and hit some of the enemy inside, correct?
Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
You use the concealment markers with the units they are presented with in the specified buildings. You can put more than one ? in a hex however, this gives the illusion of a bigger stack or you can even use a whole stack of concealment markers with nothing else.

Firing at units in a building (we'll say wood): add up all the fire power you want to fire with (ex. a 4-6-7 and a lmg) that would be 6 fire power factors. You roll your two dice, cross reference on the fire table, then add two to your roll for the wood building (3 for stone). If you have a leader in the stack you are attacking with (we'll say an 8-1) then you would subtract his leadership modifier giving you a net result of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lubin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your clarification on both of my questions. With the ? markers though, even if I were trying to give an illusion of a larger force wouldn't my opponent know that since I can only stack three units and one leader that a large stack would be a diversion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
You could also have a stack of nothing but dummy counters, say three or four high. I'm not saying you should do this, but you could if you wanted to.

IIRC in the Tractor Works scenario you may have more dummy counters than needed and I would use all of them if possible, maybe on the (assuming you are facing the board as layed out on the scenario card) west edge of the tractor works or the center of the tractor works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lubin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markimus wrote:
Thank you for your clarification on both of my questions. With the ? markers though, even if I were trying to give an illusion of a larger force wouldn't my opponent know that since I can only stack three units and one leader that a large stack would be a diversion?

You're forgetting that Support Weapons, in this case Machine Guns, will add to the stacking 'counters' possible in each hex. Presenting a hex with a stack 6 high for example, could mean a multitude of things ranging from... 6 Dummies all the way through to the 9-1 Leader, 3 squads and a HMG... quite a range of possibilities.

Remember that stacking limits for SWs is 10PP per hex so you could legitimately have... 1 Ldr + 3 Squads + 2xMMGs(8PPs) + 2xLMGs(2PPs) = 8 'unit' counters in any one hex.

Interestingly, that 'maximum' counter stack (8 units) would not give you the most potent Firepower. That particular privilege would belong to a 7 unit stack, namely... 1 Ldr + 3 Squads + 1xHMG(5PPs) + 1xMMG(4PPs) + 1xLMG(1PP) giving a total of 26 Firepower on the IFT v 24 FP for the 8 stack.

Note: before someone points out that both a 26 and 24 FP attack would be resolved on the same column of the IFT, remember that MGs can fire at a separate target to that fired on by the squad manning them such that the 26FP should be split down to ensure max use of all 26 points.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:

IIRC in the Tractor Works scenario you may have more dummy counters than needed and I would use all of them if possible, maybe on the (assuming you are facing the board as layed out on the scenario card) west edge of the tractor works or the center of the tractor works.

My advice would be to use at least one on every single hex with multiple on those hexes otherwise empty.

2 reasons:-

1) Fire on all '?' counters is considered as Area fire i.e. halved firepower.

2) '?' counters can only be removed by the German player if he either obtains a Morale Check or better result on a fire attack or he has any unbroken adjacent units at the end of the defensive fire phase.

As the Russian player, you want to stall the German as long as possible to allow for your reinforcements to break through the Western Defensive Line of Germans.

Always remember to pay attention to the Victory Conditions of any scenario. This one is all about territorial control so try to keep the German guessing as to where your strength lies in the Tractor Works. Do not reveal any units cheaply. The longer they stay under those '?' counters, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lubin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does help thank you very much. The '?' markers are to be used wisely to keep the enemy guessing up to the longest possible moment throughout the engagement.
Also because of the PP rules stacks can be relatively high. Which means that a stack of six with a '?' marker might be a very potent force and not just a ruse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Kegley
United States
Pulaski
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have already been stated and I missed it, but the concealment counters ("?") halve incoming fire attacks. If the "unit" breaks, moves, or fires, the concealment is lost.

I don't have the rules in front of me, so forgive me if I've confused anything here.

Neal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HossB86 wrote:
This may have already been stated and I missed it, but the concealment counters ("?") halve incoming fire attacks. If the "unit" breaks, moves, or fires, the concealment is lost.

I don't have the rules in front of me, so forgive me if I've confused anything here.

Neal

Neal,

You're not wrong but a unit doesn't have to break to lose concealment. Just the fact it has to take a Morale Check is sufficient for the '?' to be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing, I'm not sure about:

You use all your '?'s in setup. But leave one stack (somewhere safe) without a '?' on top. If that unit doesn't do anything (or isn't shot at), doesit 'grow' a new '?'-marker from out of the box? Or can't it grow a '?' because all '?'s mentioned on the scenario card are on board?

Bit hypothetical maybe - but still. I think you get an extra, 'cause that's the rule and scenario card just stated the starting numer, not the size of the pool.

Grtz,
M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthijs,

18 x '?' counters must be placed on board during set-up.

Any additional '?' can then be placed on any squad or leader during game play under the provisions of 25.3

Personally I prefer to 'cover' all Tractor Works hexes with '?' at set-up for the reasons posted earlier.

If, during subsequent turns, the Russian player (and German in the West)has some units otherwise dormant for a player turn he mustn't forget the benefit of placing a '?' if eligible.

I find that when playing later scenarios, that don't specify concealment for set-up purposes, a lot of players forget the benefits of using this tactic when on the defensive. It's particularly useful for example, for the early turn Germans trying to defend Hill 621.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.