Subject: Building by discarding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules indicate that cards are built by discarding a number of cards equal to the cost of whatever you are trying to build.

I know that one place these cards can be discarded from is your hand. But the rules also talk about discarding one card from your train if you want to prior to building. Does the discarded card from your train count towards the building cost or do only cards discarded from your hand count? Relatedly, when upgrading a train card by paying the difference in cost, would the card you're upgrading from (and which has to be discarded for the upgrade) also count towards the building cost (effectively meaning upgrades are the difference in cost - 1)?

Finally, am I understanding correctly that instead of building at all, you can forgo actually putting anything down and instead remove as many train cards as you want? If this is the case, it would be much clearer if you just created a separate Remove action instead of shunting this under the Build action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand and the way I had played, only cards coming from your hand count toward discards for paying for building and upgrading.

When they say you can discard a train card when building, the term "discard" is probably used for a lack of a better term. They could say, "before building a train car, you can remove one train car from your train and place it in the discard pile", but that is kind of lengthy.

I agree that a "remove" action could have worked for when you want to remove more than one train car from your train. Because it's all you will be doing for that action because you can't do that and build as part of the same action. You can only discard one train car and still build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saslett wrote:
The rules indicate that cards are built by discarding a number of cards equal to the cost of whatever you are trying to build.

I know that one place these cards can be discarded from is your hand. But the rules also talk about discarding one card from your train if you want to prior to building. Does the discarded card from your train count towards the building cost or do only cards discarded from your hand count?

Once loaded onto your train, cargo is no longer a card that can be spent. You may NOT discard cargo from your train to help pay for a build action.

Quote:
Relatedly, when upgrading a train card by paying the difference in cost, would the card you're upgrading from (and which has to be discarded for the upgrade) also count towards the building cost (effectively meaning upgrades are the difference in cost - 1)?

No, that does not count.

Quote:
Finally, am I understanding correctly that instead of building at all, you can forgo actually putting anything down and instead remove as many train cards as you want? If this is the case, it would be much clearer if you just created a separate Remove action instead of shunting this under the Build action.

This is a super-rare thing that shouldn't ever really happen, it's only in there in case of emergency (if you've screwed yourself up too badly). Giving it it's own action puts it on par with other actions in the game, and players may be tricked into considering that action when they should not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi
United States
Sunland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife had a scenario where she wanted to discard a train card with a good loaded on it. I figured since a good was loaded on that card that you could not diuscard it. Am I correct on this? I think the reason that she wanted to do the discard, was to build a different train car and she was maxed out on weight and could no longer upgrade her engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMatrix wrote:
My wife had a scenario where she wanted to discard a train card with a good loaded on it. I figured since a good was loaded on that card that you could not diuscard it. Am I correct on this? I think the reason that she wanted to do the discard, was to build a different train car and she was maxed out on weight and could no longer upgrade her engine.

If you decide to discard a train car from your train, and that train car has a good loaded on it, then the good would be discarded as well.

Unrelated, but don't forget that when you UPGRADE a train car that has a good in it, the good remains in the newly upgraded train car! That's a completely different situation than discarding a train car from your train altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.