Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just played a few rounds of this game and my wife and I are already arguing about a rule (just one for a change!).

In the Survival phase, when the food points are calculated, she thinks all the points you made by killing animals, foraging, fishing, etc. are kept and placed in your own food bank. I say NO, those points are just used to do the math, calculate whether you are in the positive or negative (depending on how many humans you have) and, after taking or giving that many points to/from the communal food bank, the points used to caluclate are returned to the communal food bank and not kept by the individuals.You only get the difference if it's a positive number. You lose that amount if a negative.

Are the food points used to calculate how many other food points you get kept or given to the communal food bank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a hard time totally understanding your question, but I will try to give you some insight on our interpretation. You only get to keep the overage for your food reserves.

For example, you need 10 food. During the turn you forage/fish 12 food. 10 food units are applied to the food requirements, and you get two food to place in your reserves. If you did not forage/fish enough, then you owe food or lose tribe members.

If it make more sense, you can take the number of food tokens that you gain through foraging/fishing, and then pay the amount required to sustain all of your tribe. The end result will be the same. If you do not play this way, food shortages never become an issue.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That helps.

But let me rephrase my question:

During a turn let us say you collect 10 food points from where ever. You have 8 people in you tribe. The difference is +2.

Now, you started the equation with 10 food points. What becomes of those 10 food points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go:

Let's say I start up with 10 food. In survival phase, I fish for 2, forage for 3, and kill animals worth 4. That is a positive 9 food. If I have, say, 6 people, I have a 3 food surplus. Thus, at the end of the survival phase, I'd have 13 food.

Hope that helps.

Antonio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any real difference between the 2 approaches? In the end, it just means you temporarily hold the food in your bank before you give it back.

If it actually matters (for some card or power or other I can't remember right now) then technically the manual says you only get the DIFFERENCE between what you owe and what you make. So if your difference is +3, you get 3 food, if the difference is -6, you gotta pay 6.

In all the games we've played though, this has never mattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Now it all makes sense. I kept telling the wife we could not keep ALL the food we got per turn, or else it would not be much of a challenge to keep our tribe alive with so much food. Thanks for all the input guys!

And why does it not surprise me that Antonio would be playing this great game!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.