Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce of Hirts Arts has posted directions for building a 3D Descent board using his latest cavern molds.

I have no affiliation with the site but I do own 20+ of his molds and I'm a Descent addict.

http://www.castlemolds.com/cavern/descent.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Coletta
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive.thumbsup

But is there a way you can get those pieces "ready to use for play"?
I see that you can buy only molds, but who has money to spend and no time to make the handwork... you understand

Bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Impressive.

But is there a way you can get those pieces "ready to use for play"?

You could try posting in the forums at castlemolds.com (Bruce's site) There are several licensed sellers of his molds and bricks and there should be one over seas.

I plan on buying the two molds that are showcased but shipping would be too prohibitive. The plaster used to cast them is quite heavy.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are asking if they sell pre-cast and pre-assembled map pieces, then no. As Mike Kollross pointed out, places like Castlemolds will sell you pre-cast bits. Leaving it up to you to assemble and paint them. Though you might find that prohibitively expensive. Actually, it would probably be illegal for Hirst Arts to sell pre-fabricated Descent map pieces, since Fantasy Flight owns the Intellectual Property rights. Hirst Arts is just selling molds that create generic cavern floor tiles, doors, treasure chests and such. The fact that you can use them to create map pieces for Descent is valuable, but not the point of the molds.

Hirst Arts is all about the hobby and craft of building miniature structures. So if you want gorgeous Descent map tiles, you are going to have to get your hands dirty. (or at least covered in plaster, glue and paint)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Cipolla
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Intellectual property, yes, but I don't think the specific shapes of rooms (not their artwork, mind you!) are innovative enough to be considered "property". I'm pretty sure Hero Quest had a few rooms of the same shape (5x5 tiles or whatever).

For the rune doors, I don't know. But ordinary generic doors, passageways and rooms that are suitable for Descent? That's just too generic to be protected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think where you could go a stray legal wise would be to use the Descent name and or pieces to promote the 3D board you are selling. A decent disclaimer should cover it though.

"Descent is the property of Fantasy Flight, ect, ect and this product is in no affiliated with them, yada, yada, yada....."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
Wow.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

The best I can do is quote Kevin.

Wow.

I may be learning how to pour some molds. Maybe I'll even build enough to have my imageing 3D game of Descent going. There's already stair pieces, why not build actual stairs? And make the pits be real holes in the floor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brooks
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3D Hirst tiles look great and the Hirst site has as always done a good job on the step by step guide to reproducing it.

It did throw up one question on my part though - the page shows a shot of the "same number and type of board sections found on the original Descent game". But that got me wondering, as it shows a wooden bridge and a throne of some sort, neither of which seems to be represented on my Descent tiles. Am I missing something?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morin
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've poured more Hirst Molds than I care to think about.

This is such a cool idea, I may have to pour more..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The amazing work he has done here is the astoundingly clever multitasking of some of the pieces. The shapes are reused in very creative ways, with things like door arches becoming a well and floor bits becoming rubble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nautilus wrote:
It did throw up one question on my part though - the page shows a shot of the "same number and type of board sections found on the original Descent game". But that got me wondering, as it shows a wooden bridge and a throne of some sort, neither of which seems to be represented on my Descent tiles. Am I missing something?

It's most likely just a case of there being some extra bits left after casting all the tiles. It's vitally important to use those in something as soon as possible, otherwise you'll come up with an idea that requires just a few more castings... which will leave different extra bits... which you can use up with just a few more castings... which...

Next thing you know, you've built a complete 25mm model of Minas Tirith. And have just a few bits left... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brooks
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though the caption against the photo does specifically say "This set has the same number and type of board sections found on the original Descent game". Which seems quite specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Intellectual Property, Claudio Cipolla
It does fall under the vague umbrella of "intellectual property," but what is more apt in this context would be in regard to the "artistic license" in the realm of copyright law. The runes could be considered public property if they are found to be actual runes (or a major semblance) from a historically documented source (beside Fantasy Flight products, Futhark - for instance). Even if they are not, a court of law would be hard-pressed to deem the said runes as unique in the respect of copyright laws. An interesting precendence is M. Moorcock's chaos rune (the 8 pointed star). He claims to have invented the symbol - and at one point while some of his eternal champion books were doing well, he noticed that many others were using his symbol of chaos (Games Workshop comes to mind). There was quite a discrepancy, and many companies were forced to slightly alter the symbol to make it different (not all, it seems some sneak by or perhaps have paid some form of royalty). The design/rune/symbol itself appears in other forms throughout histories of ancient civilizations, therefore it could be depicted though not totally exact. The debate seems to have dragged a bit, I'm not even quite sure what the end tally was. Sidenote: I personally think its absurd, its like a linguistic issue, one cannot claim a trademark on a coined word or phrase - even if it is recognized by Webster, yet someone thinks they can claim something that can be found - eh, went on a ramble....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.