Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is completely ridiculous but are there any different versions of this game or a game almost like it that doesn't have the anime art style? I simply cannot stand that art style. I know that's irrational but it is what it is. I guess I was scarred at a young age by it.

The game sounds amazing and I'd love to give it a try but for me that "art style" just kills it for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the artwork is bad. It's the "Anime" style itself that I have an issue with.

If there aren't any different official versions has anyone perhaps created a re-themed fan version. Maybe superheroes or futuristic versions?

Would it be possible to buy the game and use it to easily created a homemade version or are components do difficult to recreate?

Thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a credit to Tragedy Looper's uniqueness that there isn't really any other game quite like it.

It would actually be very easy to modify the game to not have the anime style. The only cards depicting character art are the Characters, which you could easily make new versions of. They're not shuffled, so you don't even have to worry about getting the card backs nice and even. There are already a few re-themes floating around, though they're into other properties with anime/manga style. It wouldn't take much effort to make a new one, though, if you can find good art for the various characters.

Specter Ops is also a deductive game with moving pieces that actually do stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not out yet, and I don't know much about it, but information so far suggests that T.I.M.E Stories might scratch the same itch.

Also +1 Specter Ops. I don't know how it compares to Tragedy Looper, but I hear it's an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
Not out yet, and I don't know much about it, but information so far suggests that T.I.M.E Stories might scratch the same itch.

I considered suggesting that, but the disposability built into the design really rubs me the wrong way.

It's a so-called "decksploring" game where part of the enjoyment is that, as you play, you see new cards you haven't yet experienced. The unknown element of the cards is part of the design. I get the impression that once you've played it to a certain point, it'll lose the full experience.

In Tragedy Looper, it's super easy (and fun) to create new scripts and even script sets. It doesn't look like that game will have the same endless replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:

Also +1 Specter Ops. I don't know how it compares to Tragedy Looper, but I hear it's an amazing game.
I can assure you that Specter Ops will feel nothing like Tragedy Looper. Specter Ops is basically an Ameritrashed Clue: The Great Museum Caper while TL is an entirely new and fresh experience unlike anything you've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the game, print out some other pictures of peeps, put the cards in sleeves, and then slip your new picture inside.

Done! (You might want to glue something new to the cover too, but that's easily done).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Buy the game, print out some other pictures of peeps, put the cards in sleeves, and then slip your new picture inside.

Done! (You might want to glue something new to the cover too, but that's easily done).

So do only the cards and box cover have the anime/manga style character art? If that's the case then what you suggested should be fairly easy to do.

Is the art on the board, tokens or any of the other pieces fairly generic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

Done! :) (You might want to glue something new to the cover too, but that's easily done).

So do only the cards and box cover have the anime/manga style character art? If that's the case then what you suggested should be fairly easy to do.

Quite. In fact, except for the character's cards I cannot think of anything particularly anime-ish in this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

Yep. It's just the cards and the box cover.

In fact, this game works very nicely with a re-theme. COuld be cool to work on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
trakes wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

Done! :) (You might want to glue something new to the cover too, but that's easily done).

Quite. In fact, except for the character's cards I cannot think of anything particularly anime-ish in this game

Well, one of the locations is the shrine, which is definitely Japanese if not necessarily anime. The other locations are generic enough, though, and the rest of the cards don't have any anime design on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Lewis
United States
Finleyville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whenever I read this, I'm always a little confused as to why such a broad style is so off-putting, but I'm even more confused why Z-Man didn't give us the double-sided character cards with a silhouette on the reverse.

Surely they must have known that some wouldn't like the theme, and they already existed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garvinator wrote:
Whenever I read this, I'm always a little confused as to why such a broad style is so off-putting, but I'm even more confused why Z-Man didn't give us the double-sided character cards with a silhouette on the reverse.

Surely they must have known that some wouldn't like the theme, and they already existed...

Printing cards with different backs is more expensive than printing cards with a single back. I doubt it'd have enough effect to be worth it.

Also, if you start spending time and money to please people's foolish prejudices, you'll be crawling down a rabbit hole without end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
Same here Tim. As soon as I see an Anime art style on any game, it's an automatic pass for me. (And here I thought I was the only one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would the artwork be so off-putting to some is what I don't get. I mean, I can understand if you don't like the artwork, but that being enough to actually stop you from getting a great game is the part I don't get. There are plenty of good games out there with crummy artwork. The experience is in the game itself though, right? I mean, that's what's important about a GAME. Great art enhances any game of course, but it shouldn't make or break a purchase of it IMO.

I say this as a fan of the artwork in the game. But then I'm also a fan of Sentinels of the Multiverse, and that game's artwork (at least the older art-he's getting better) was HORRENDOUS! But the game is fun, and I like super heroes. Similarly (not similar games, though; VERY different), this game is A LOT of fun! And I like time travel, mystery solving, and evil masterminds, so yeah, even if I didn't like the artwork this would be a purchase for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.