Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a group beginning to meet bi-weekly in Watsonville, CA; a group of students and former students of PCS as well as myself, a teacher and game club rep from PCS. This Friday, I unveiled Gunslinger, a game I picked up about a year ago, but hadn’t played due to lack of time and unfamiliar rules. I had been reading the rules obsessively for about a week and a half leading up to the game, and my hopes were high. We weren’t disappointed.

Deciding to start simple, we replayed the gunfight at the OK Corral between the Earps and Doc Holliday and the McLaurys and Billy Clanton. This scenario is definitely unbalanced in favor of the Earps, (the McLauries and Clanton start with pistols holstered and one of them doesn’t even have a gun) so the victory conditions make it necessary for the Earps and Holliday to pretty much wipe them out without casualties.

None of us had played before, so the first turn was interesting. All the Earps took some time to aim, but Holliday just blasted at the armed McLaury with his shotgun. He was down for the rest of the very brief fight. Billy Clanton had a lightning fast draw, so on the very first segment he drew and fanfired at Holliday, dealing him a serious wound which hampered him severely the rest of the fight. The unarmed McLaury charged at Wyatt, but just before smacking him, was gunned down. Billy Clanton continued to fanfire wildly (three shots in the first two second) but was killed by Morgan and Virgil who took time to aim. The remaining McLaury, on the ground and bleeding, surrendered. Holliday survived his wounds.

Next, we replayed a brawl to learn the melee rules. This was a fight between three ex-miliary men, three rowdies, and the Marshall, a super-tough John Henry type. Although you received penalties for drawing any weapon, and a severe penalty for killing, one of the military types drew his Sabre(!) and chopped at a rowdy, doing some damage. The sword wielding Confederate was quickly surrounded and beat into unconciousness by two rowdies and the Marshall. However, a second military man drew his knife and stuck the Marshall in the kidneys, leaving him bleeding and unable to shake off his wound (he survived his wounds also). Meanwhile, one of the rowdies dropped and, from his knees, managed to defeat his military opponent from his knees and knock him unconcious. A third rowdy picked up a chair and threw it at the Marshall and the knife-wielding military man, and then the Marshall was KOed. The remaining soldier surrendered.

We all agreed it was excellent fun and made some characters using the role-playing system. We’ll play again in two weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to play this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent report! Next you'll want to play 1 of the showdowns with buildings, and use the optional height rules. There's so much in Gunslinger that you can play for a long time without doing everything the game has to offer. Recently, I have been exploring the hunting rules and the horse riding rules. The rules are full of fleshed out mini-systems you can introduce gradually, as you feel the need for something fresh to provide a twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see another group of gamers learning about the quality of Gunslinger. It is truly a great system if people give it a chance. Be sure to check out the Gunsmith Shop rules from the General magazine. They are in valuable to those wanting greater realism and a larger selection of guns.

I'd be interested in hearing how you find the role-playing system. I have never tried it but have been curious about it for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice words.

I just took all the much nicer maps from the Cyberboard game box, and printed them on cardstock. I'll laminate them tomorrow---so I'll nicer boards to play with next time too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, there is nothing better than a Gunslinger session report, especially when done in detail. A great game that has started coming out again every few months with those I game with. A good friend of mine loves this game and is quite adept at the rules and charts (I just go with the flow). It is due to come out again soon.

I tell myself...buy a hex mat, make some buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.