Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a simplified version of Deduce or Die that was created by Australia's Richard Vickery and playtested by his gaming group. Play using the normal rules, with two changes. First, only use the cards from Ace to Six in the three suits. Expose one card at the beginning with 3 or 5 players and no cards with 4 (the variant shouldn't be played with 6). The variant also ignores the special rule from the standard game when identical cards are selected during an interrogation.

Richard says his group has had a lot of success with the variant and that it usually plays in 30 minutes or so. Quicker deduction games are more to their liking. I'd recommend this to groups that would prefer a slightly less brain-burning version of DoD. Thanks, Richard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
If the sum of the two evidence cards exceeds 6, do we then subtract 6 from it (rather than 9)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
darquil,

Yes, that would make sense. Otherwise, you could have negative numbers!

What I don't understand is why you'd want this game to play shorter?! I mean, I'm waiting for the two deck variant. Or the one where each player is allowed to lie once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hubajube wrote:
Or the one where each player is allowed to lie once.

or the one where you can lie as many times as you want, but when you go out you have to sit quietly for 1 turn per lie before you can announce if you won or lost (and someone else can win in the meantime).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this variant with Richard on the weekend and it worked very well. Clocked in around 30 minutes as a three player game with two newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weston
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Deduce or Die and Deduce or Diet with Larry this weekend. I love DoD as it is, and certainly prefer the full-blooded version with players who appreciate deduction games. But if teaching DoD to new players or you need to be done sooner, DoDiet is an excellent backup.

We discussed it afterwards and the only tweak we might have made to DoDiet is NOT sharing the information about which suit each player has as their shortest. The hand size was small enough that this small stepping stone of information didn't feel necessary. However, from experience I can tell you that not sharing that "short-suit" information at the beginning of a full DoD game extends it by an hour or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
As Michael says, my preferred way of playing Deduce or Die-t is to not reveal the shortest suit at the start and to use the normal rule when identical cards are chosen (it really isn't that complicated and eliminating it could hose a player with an unlucky draw). It didn't really come up in our game, but I'd probably also remove the rule allowing players to make one secret guess, as that IS a bit on the involved side and probably isn't necessary in the shorter game.

I certainly prefer the full version of the game, but I've got to say I was very pleasantly surprised how well the Die-t variant played. There was still some nice deduction required and there were a number of problems that arose that I've never seen in the normal game. You were also able to start drawing conclusions almost right away, which was a very nice plus. I tip my hat to Richard Vickery for coming up with a really good variant of the game. I'd have no hesitation about playing this when time is short or with a group that wanted a slightly less intense deduction experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've uploaded a worksheet specifically for this.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98731/deduce-or-diet-w...

I hope you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.