Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife Amy and I played a game of Power Grid on the Germany map using the red, brown and cyan areas. Amy started out in Essen while I started in Hamburg. I accidently cut her off and blocked her from building ten cities (which triggers Step 2 in two-player) as I was expanding to prevent from getting cut off myself. I got the 25 plant (5 cities power for 2 coal) early (late in Step 1) and a stream of plants in the teens and low twenty-something followed. It was several turns before Amy got a better one, and we weren’t building into new cities very much, so I was stuck in first place for a while. Amy built up to fourteen cities, expecting me to do likewise. I didn’t, and so stuck her in first place waiting for a good power plant for two or three turns while I built up cash. In the last turn of Step 2, Amy was eight Electros short of building out to 21 cities and winning. The next turn was Step 3. I bought the 26 plant (5 cities power for 2 oil) and bought all the available coal, preventing Amy from being able to power more than 11 cities while I was able to power 12 (even though she had just bought a plant that would have allowed her to power more cities than me). That turn we were both able to build into 21 cities. It was a tight game that came down to the wire. I know the BGG groupthink is that Power Grid should only be played with four or five, and while I’ll agree that it’s better with more, we find it to be tense and exciting, even with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.