Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I broke out this game I recently acquired through a trade. I went through the rules, I suck at giving a synopsis so I basically read through them since they are well written. We started by taking turns placing the little figurines and then we were off. The battle was first for Edo, which I won all three pieces – she was a little miffed. Not to much longer and I had a majority of rice patties. I could tell she wasn’t thrilled with how the game was going. I tried to coach her – suggesting we played with the shields down and talk through moves, but I think this perturbed her even more. She picked up some Buddhas and helmets. Near the end of the game we tied for a Buddha and the other two were nearly decided. She asked for the rules, “Uh – Oh” I thought as I gave them to her. Several minutes later I was trying to figure out her question, she didn’t want to divulge her strategy so close to the end. Again I asked if we could talk through the options, because they were fairly limited – if she didn’t take the Buddhas I would and she would loose because she couldn’t get a majority. Frustrated she asked her question, which I didn’t have an answer for (and neither did the geek) – “Can I switch the rice for a Buddha so that there are two Buddhas in the city?” I didn’t see why not, but I told her if she did that, she would have a majority of Buddha, but her piece count would be lower than mine. Since those were the last Buddhas on the board it would end the game. In the end, she didn’t do the swap, but lost anyway.

The second match was much closer. Again, it was a fight for Edo, but I was hampered by poor draws and poorer plays on my part. Since this was our first games, we played by drawing five random tiles to start. I drew two fours and three ships – ugh. I played a four around Edo touching another village and drew my final four. Stupidly, I played my other fours around Edo, and my wife played cleverly tying two pieces and taking one. Near the end, I was trying to prevent her from capturing a sure majority of Buddhas and I made a poor swap – right into her hand. She captured two rice patties, ensuring victory with two majorities. Ouch!

Great game – a little heavier than our standard fare, but I think it will hit the table again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.