Raymond Fontaine
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I primarily play the IOS app, and I notice that this happens for some reason when I'm attacking Planta (it may actually happen with other races, just not sure).
When I attack Planta, and there is a Starbase there, if I first wipe out his cruisers, and the starbase is left, if I do not destroy it on the next attack roll, all my ships disappear and only the starbase is left there.
Is that supposed to happen?

Is this part of the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I could see this legitimately happening is if you're using only missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Vanish wrote:
The only reason I could see this legitimately happening is if you're using only missiles.

Even then you should have the opportunity to retreat each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locke Balenska
msg tools
slashing wrote:
Vanish wrote:

Even then you should have the opportunity to retreat each round.

Yup.

Unless, does the iOS app have expansion content, in particular Tractor Beam?

If not, then sounds like it can only be a bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's treated as stalemate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locke Balenska
msg tools
carraro wrote:
It's treated as stalemate.

From the rulebook:

Quote:
stalemate If a battle ends in a situation where it's not possible
for either player to destroy the other (this may only happen
when none of the Ships in a battle are armed with a cannon),
the attacker may retreat (following the requirements
for the hex he is retreating to). If not, his Ships are destroyed.

(which really, is not much of a "stalemate" in the traditional sense since one side gets wiped out, but that's what they call it anyways)

But since the OP said "if I do not destroy it on the next attack roll" I don't think that this is a case of that "stalemate" situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only scenario I can think of is if Player A has ships only equipped with missiles, has nowhere to retreat to, and doesn't wipe out all of Planta's ships on the missile attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Fontaine
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm that is interesting. I didn't know about using only missiles during attacks.
I will monitor it more closely next time to see exactly what is being used....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Strangegame74 wrote:
Hmm that is interesting. I didn't know about using only missiles during attacks.
I will monitor it more closely next time to see exactly what is being used....

Yeah--if all your ships have plasma missiles (and no other guns), once you have shot your missiles, you can't hurt anyone anymore. So if something survives your initial missile volley, either you retreat from the hex, or you stay there and eventually get killed by whatever guns your opponent has left.

So in the case in question, either:

A) You have been attacking your opponent with nothing but plasma missiles, and whatever survives wins the fight (although you should still be able to retreat. Unless you have no safe hexes to retreat into, which is possible, in which case, you just get completely killed).

or

B) There is a bug in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.