Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I went to Orycon. A sci-fi convention out here in Oregon. I zipped to the game room and yes they were doing Battlelore demos!

About two hours later I had played through the first two scenarios. It quite late now and I am too tired so you aren't getting a walk through out of me but I thought I would post some of my initial impressions.

First off, I have played a lot of Battle Cry and memoir but I haven't played Ancients. So my comparative comments are aimed at those two games.

1)Battlelore has a lot more strategy then the prior games in the series. It has a very good pace. I found memoir too fast and deadly. The scenarios in Battlelore each felt like full fledged wars.

2) Keeping your troops in Formation and "bold" is vital. There is a lot of interesting maneuvering around the board.

3) Terrain seams less important in this game. The benofits of using terrain are more subtle.

4) The coolest thing I noticed was how well balanced the different types of units are. The archers, the infantry and the cavalry were all important and they each played very differently.

It is too early for me to past judgment yet but I came away feeling that this could be the ultimate C&C game. The rules are very module and well put together. If you want more magic, just up the number of Lore Level tokens. If you want a medieval battle, take the magic out. If you want more ranged combat, use a bunch of red archer and crossbow units. It is very flexible.

I only have one bad thing to report and this is really bad. It turned out that they didn't get their shipment of Earth Elementals on time. So, I went home empty handed. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Kroon
Netherlands
Houten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the highlights! Would love to read a full account of your battles!

Interested to hear or it is good enough to stand on its own as a medieval game without any magic added.

How are the cards allotted in those scenarios? Are you stuck with that base 3 or do you get more?

Good to see that even with the absence of the elemental souring the occasion you’re still positive about the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played a C&C game, but I definitely want to buy one. I picked up Battle Cry at a game store liquidation sale recently, but I have not opened it, thinking instead I may try to resell it. (Other war themes may appeal to me more than the American Civil War.)

This comment is something I would like to explore more:

Bobagabe wrote:
It is too early for me to past judgment yet but I came away feeling that this could be the ultimate C&C game.

I don't really have a strong preference in terms of theme. If you feel this might be the "ultimate" C&C game, could it also be "the only one I'd need"? If I'm new to the series, should I start with an earlier game instead, like Battle Cry or Memoir?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore is definitely a complete medevil war game without the magic system in place. I was expecting the first two scenarios to be dull little battle but they were completely engaging.

Before you use the war councle, each scenario tells you how many cards you get. Before magic is introduced I believe the game is very much like C&C: Ancients.

I used to own Memior '44 and I still own Battlecry. However, after playing Battlelore I think it is time to pass it on. I don't think I will be getting Battlecry down much anymore. Don't get me wrong, Battlecry is a fantastic game but Battlelore has more depth and more variety.

Great job DOW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed they changed a major terrain rule for Battlelore. In Memoir '44 when you entered woods you had to stop and could not battle that turn. In Battlelore you still must stop upon entering a woods hex but may now battle. That will prove an interesting change.

Bobagabe wrote:

3) Terrain seams less important in this game. The benofits of using terrain are more subtle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Kroon
Netherlands
Houten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobagabe wrote:
Battlelore is definitely a complete medevil war game without the magic system in place. I was expecting the first two scenarios to be dull little battle but they were completely engaging.

That sounds great! Will really allow me to play with two of my favourite themes then! Hope they'll also release addons in the future that make it possible to use them in a historical settings. I want orcs alright, but some more medieval troops I'll also snap up for sure!

Bobagabe wrote:
Before you use the war councle, each scenario tells you how many cards you get. Before magic is introduced I believe the game is very much like C&C: Ancients.

Nice! Look forward to creating my own scenarios and adventures. Was a bit worried the game would feel less without the warcouncil and magic stuff, but if it compares to C&C Ancients then there's enough playability in the medieval part for sure!

Sounds like DoW have another winner on their hands!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.