Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 5 games of normal mode, which i greatly enjoyed I decided to play epic mode. It took like 4 hrs and i'd often sit for long periods of time mulling over what to do in each phase, but any way here are some thoughts.

The transitions between stages felt like a big shock. All of a sudden new resources are introduced along with new weapons, the cost of things go up all while I'm just hanging on by the skin of my teeth.

There were virtually no points in the game where I felt like I could sit back and i had things under control for a few rounds. Each round I was barely scraping up enough resources of the right type to send adventures questing.

The market cards that convert resources into another were essential. It's probably impossible to get the right type of resources you need without those market stall cards.

I found it very difficult to acquire and use new weapons in the stage they appeared. I was not able get a stage 2 weapon until the end of the stage, and same thing with stage 3. Both of these acquisitions came about from quest rewards in the last round of the stage. So I never got to use the 3 stage weapon. Guess we need a stage 4! Partially joking, but i don't see any reason why the structure of the game would not allow it. It'd be super epic then.

I was able to gather 9 adventure, 5 of which became champions, however, because resources were so limited, it was very difficult to equip more than 3 adventures a turn, and if I did my resources would be so depleted next round I'd barely make it, so i began to select lesser quests, but then had a bunch of unused adventures around, which is not a bad thing, because it's easy to lose when you realize you don't have any adventures to send out.

Just to illustrate how challenging the game was for me here is a brief description of my last 2 rounds of the game. In the 2nd to last round I had to use 3 champions to take on a 1 step quest. It used just about every resource I had and the quest only gave me Victory points in return. I had 1 gold and a piece of copper ore left. I had to hope for the best in the next round realizing I would probably only be able to equip one adventure on the next quest, while also having to equip another adventurer to complete another quest.

I saw the 2 big quest come out and thought I was done for. The I saw a quest that would make me pay 1 gold but only need 10 to clear. However the completion of the quest was 2 steps away. I was lucky one of my champs could rush the quest 2 steps. I converted my resources to get enough to equip her with a 10 power weapon, and still had enough to equip another to complete the other quest. All I had left was 1 gold after equipping and that's because I took the pass action. I got my meager quest rewards, and was relieved there was not another round to face.

I was fired after this game the tension was present throughout the whole game with no room to breath. It certainly was epic, but the type of epic I can only handle every so often.

So, I tally up my points Victory points for everything and the grand total was 346! What! Not even close to the good score suggested in the rulebook of 600. Did I miss something? Was I supposed to add 100 points for each stage completed? Probably not, however I certainly did not always select the toughest quest, mostly because I knew I could not handle what it took to complete. Extending to far seemed like a recipe for disaster one wrong choice could snowball a few rounds later. All it takes is one failed quest and the whole game goes up in smoke, which was not a risk I was willing to take after 3hrs

600 though, really? I'm just satisfied that I completed the game, and it's good to know I'm a long way off from mastering it, but for now I'm off to take an epic snooze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike point targets for solo games. They always feel like a cop out in game design. An objective is always more compelling and thematically rewarding to me. Survival in the solo game is objective enough and certainly not a gimme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I dislike point targets for solo games. They always feel like a cop out in game design. An objective is always more compelling and thematically rewarding to me. Survival in the solo game is objective enough and certainly not a gimme.

There's no point target in this. The rules just say how you're doing and what value of points can be reached. The objective of the solo game is to take a quest every single round and complete them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneJericho wrote:
philmcd wrote:

There's no point target in this. The rules just say how you're doing and what value of points can be reached. The objective of the solo game is to take a quest every single round and complete them all.

Semantics. The point objective is clearly implied as well.

I really enjoyed playing the game and surviving, irrespective of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like having a target to shoot for. I also achieved something like 350ish on my first solo epic game.

However, I set the deck to a fairly easy setting which I think can greatly impact your score. The points awarded for those harder quests are significantly higher. When I tried to set it up on a harder difficulty for the next game I failed. Excited to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpierce72 wrote:
I like having a target to shoot for. I also achieved something like 350ish on my first solo epic game.

However, I set the deck to a fairly easy setting which I think can greatly impact your score. The points awarded for those harder quests are significantly higher. When I tried to set it up on a harder difficulty for the next game I failed. Excited to try again.

My quest deck was randomly set up, so it's possible I got lower point quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I could provide a little more detail to follow up on my post above in case anyone was curious. Shout out to the BG Stats app for helping me track my stats!

In my first epic solo game I set the deck up for easiest scenario as described in the rulebook. In the end I scored 365 points (276 from quests, 41 from adventurers, 45 from cards, and 3 from left over goods/gold). During the game, I took an easier quest a couple of times (ex: Rats) instead of a harder one. I would guess that I could have scored higher if I had been a bit tougher on myself.

In my second game I set it up for the medium difficulty as follows:
Green & Grey: Removed 5 easiest and 3 hardest.
Red: Removed 2 easiest and 2 hardest.

I completed 4 quests, but failed with 5 going at once. It was much tougher to get by with these longer and more complex quests going! Managing your hero pool and weapon resources was much more difficult compared to the easy deck. A really challenging and fun puzzle. A fantastic solo experience in my eyes.

As a side note, I'm curious if Isaac can comment on where the target high score in the rulebook came from. Is this something you calculated out, based on playtesting, or is this your personal solo high score? Just curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so first of all, the "great" scores in the rule book weren't intended as a target. I debated whether to include them, but I decided that they'd be nice for someone who doesn't frequent BGG to compare against. I believe I've added enough variability in the challenge level that players can get a satisfying amount of plays out of the game just by constantly ratcheting up the challenge and trying to complete the game without even worrying about the score.

And to answer Brian's question, the scores are around what I've been able to achieve playing with the hardest quest deck build (without the extra challenge of reducing starting resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
managed an epic solo game with 412 prestige points on medium difficulty
ended with 9 level 4 adventurers and 1 level 2 adventurer a couple of spare resources and alot of points from market cards (seller savvy is the best!)My questrun:

Quell the Taavern Brawl
Trouble in the Weird Woods
Spiders of the Hollow Glen
The Temple of the Serpent God
Explore the Mystic Cave
Quell the Tavern Brawl

Trolls under the Bridge
In pursuit of the Vampire
Sentient Crystal Invasion
Disperse the Dark Coven
Werehawks raid the Farmland
Mine Saboteurs

The Wrath of the Red Dragon
The Swamp of Suffering
Break the Titan's Siege
The Archmage's Golem Army
Floating Castle in Need of Aid

Stiching the Scar of Time

I started with alot of ressources and coins, focused early on getting iron weapons with an occasional copper starting weapon, questrushing with adventurers savvy and then quickly switching up to mithril weapons. I could even forge 3 bardic blades in the solorun. It was very fun and achieving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we broke the game together at the solo epic hard difficulty X_X
we managed Stiching the Scar of Time with Bravura netting a whopping 98 points with the quest! +2 for completing the leg, +7 from scavenging a weapon.

I think the Bravura needs a maximum cap of prestige you can gain. We had an insane run with questrushing, marketstall ressource generation and crazy combos X)

we totaled a score of 521 prestige

here are our quests:
quell the tavern brawl
Explore the mystic cave
The Temple of the Serpent God
pursue the mine bandits
arena games
nobleman's bodyguard
delivery to the mad king
Mine Saboteurs
Royal Tournament
Enraged Forest Spirit
In Pursuit of the Vampire
Infiltrate the secret cabal
the multiheaded hydra (done in 2 turns with ward of gods)
floating Castle in Need of Aid
Break the Titans' Siege
The Wrath of the red Dragon
The Archmage's Golem Army
Stiching the Scar of Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.