Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Haag
United States
Northfield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basics of the Game: In League of Pirates, 2 players compete to fill their ships with a crew, and sail off without the other one stopping them, and with the most valuable crew. To achieve this, there is a roll off before each turn starts to see who gets to choose an action for that turn. It's a unique rolling mechanic, where you get 3 rolls to get a 1-2-3 in order, and the 2 dice left over are added together to show your strength. The person with the most strength who completed the 1-2-3 in order gets to choose an action. If you’re tied, the person with the most points on his ship goes first. There are several actions you can do on your turn, but they can be distilled down to a few major actions:

1) Draw a new crew member from your bag of chips, hoping it's a job type you don't have on your ship yet, if it does match a current job you have filled, you can replace that person if you like this new one better.

2) Have one of your crew fight one of the other players crew, in order to throw that crew member into your brig

3) Promote a pirate in the brig to become a real member of your crew

4) Sail away - once your ship is filled with all the crew it needs, you can roll off again, and try to get the 1-2-3 and have a higher remaining 2 dice then your opponent, if so you sail away, and if your total points on your boat are greater than your opponents, you win!

Components: The boards that represent your ship are really nice material, thick cardboard, double layered, with the top layer having circle cut outs for you to place your crew chips in. The chips are cardboard double sided. One side shows the portrait of the pirate, his/her name, and job. On the back side are the skills of the pirate used in the battles. There is a custom die for each player for the battles, with a skill written per side. It's a nice wood die with lots of custom artwork on each side. Each player gets a cloth bag to hold their chips. There was a nice hardboard holder that the chips came in, but after opening it, I put them in the bag, and now don't see much point to why the company spent so much money on that nice holder, which also won't hold the chips well anymore once the shrink wrap is off of it.

Conclusion: This game didn't do much for me. It was just tons of dice rolling and grabbing chips from a bag, hoping that it will be a piece you need. I'd rather play Lost Cities or something for a light 2 player game. If you really like rolling dice, that may improve your opinion of this game. For dice, I'd rather play Farkel or Yahtzee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.