Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the urge to play a little Patchwork, I decided to try playing around with a solo variant. Here is what I came up with:

(1) Setup the game as normal for 2-players (2 boards and 2 time markers on the time track), but combine the starting buttons to give an initial supply of 10 total buttons. Throughout the game, the 2 quilt boards will share a common button supply for purchasing new patches.

(2) Other than the above exception (shared buttons between quilt boards), the game is played exactly the same as the standard 2-player game (taking turns for green/yellow according to the time track).

(3) The goal is to get as high a combined score as possible (the 7x7 bonus is given to the combined score if either quilt board fulfills the standard condition).

Here are my results for 3 games:

Game 1: I got a combined 64 points - I thought this was a pretty good score!
Game 2: I got a combined 36 points - this seems like a pretty poor score.
Game 3: I scored a combined 84 points - now that 64 doesn't seem so great after all!

I think anything over 90 points would be remarkable, but I expect a score of 100+ might be possible if the patches line up just so and you are able to have fewer than 3 or 4 total uncovered squares on the quilt boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: when you do button income for one of the pieces, do you count the buttons on both quilts or just one? I'm finding it really hard to get past 35 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
Question: when you do button income for one of the pieces, do you count the buttons on both quilts or just one? I'm finding it really hard to get past 35 points.

Just the quilt whose marker passed the button on the time track receives income (not both). If the yellow time marker passes a button on the time track, you only receive income for the buttons on the yellow quilt (but these buttons can also be used by the green quilt to purchase new quilt pieces).

As for improving scores, it's been a while since I played this, but I seem to remember my better scores coming from focusing my early game on getting pieces with lots of buttons and then gradually dialing that focus back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this, I came to the Variant forum looking to see if anyone else had thought of this.

One question: why are buttons combined, rather than assigned to each quilt? Just for the sake of simplicity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Poplawski wrote:
Thanks for posting this, I came to the Variant forum looking to see if anyone else had thought of this.

One question: why are buttons combined, rather than assigned to each quilt? Just for the sake of simplicity?

The simplicity is nice, but I mostly wanted to have some flexibility at the beginning to purchase the more expensive patches. To me, this seems to make this solo version a little more interesting as you decide whether to focus your income opportunities on one quilt or both.

This could easily be played cooperatively as well (in which case, it makes sense to have the buttons shared in my opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bart gamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you award the 7x7 7 point bonus marker? Do you just give it to yourself in either of your quilts earn it?

Suggestion: Since there is no opponent to muddy things up, make the criterion for winning the bonus tile be that *both* of the quilts have to achieve a 7x7 square. If that's what you meant (or if you like this idea now) than I think this variant is just great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.