Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joy Thompson
United States
Pullman
WA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok I have always loved games but relatively new to the site. One feature I am really interested in is the ability to trade games but I need help. I know I want to get rid of Smash up and the expansion but I don't know what to look for in exchange. My big hits have been LoWD, Stone Age, Dominion, and Legendary. Big misses Power grid (too mathy) and Steam Park (competitive
Dice rolling no good). Still trying to decide Takenako (too light), Suburbia/ Mad King Ludwig (seems dry at times), Agricola all creatures (too short and competitive on placement)

What games do you suggest I look for in a trade that have similiar value as Smash Up that fits with what I like. Also how do I best facilitate a first trade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best to email first to see if the person is actually interested in trading. Don't be put off if you get no response, just try someone else. Look for someone local to trade with. Shipping is so expensive these days I don't trade much anymore. You could also try a math trade, just remember only trade for something you really want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it easier to first find people who are interested in the game I want to trade and have something on my wishlist.

Then I try to see if there is someone in my country that has something of equal value I want.

So first fill want in trade list in your collection with pretty much anything your even remotely interested in.

Add the game you want to trade as for trade in your collection

Then under my geek> trades> custom search check the game you want to trade (i.e. Smash up and see what results you get).

To check for about equal value for used games you can use spielboy.com or completed ebay auctions.

You can send a trade request within the system to check if someone is interested but most people like to get a geekmail first.

Sometimes if the game you want is hard to find because it is very new or because it is out of print, people will wait for a similiarly hard to find game they want before making a trade.

Lots of people don't respond to trade requests, so you may have to make several offers before you get someone interested.

If you have listed all possible game you own that youmight want to trade, the trade system can sometimes find someone with several games you want for several games they want. People are more likely to respond to such trade request. Smah up itself isn't very expensive so your best luck would be to trade with expansions or other games. Postage can be 10-15 on a game in the US so you will not have much luck with a $20 game by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joy Thompson
United States
Pullman
WA
flag msg tools
mbmb
It sounds like I might need to wait to try trading until I have more to trade with. I just really really don't like Smash Up and hate seeing it just sit there. There are some more games that may end up on a trade pile but right now it is too early to tell. Now to try to grow my wish list. My only item on there is Dead of Winter and I am really not sure if I want it or not. Trying to find games that I want that will actually get played is a challenge. I haven't built a gaming group yet so my only gaming partner likes light to mid weight games like LoWD and Stone age and I would like to move onto some heavier weight games but have no on to play them with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can filter your trades using trade finder to your state if you are in the USA. Smash Up doesn't have a lot of value, but a lot of users want it. Because of shipping, as others have said, you'd pay almost the value of the game to ship it. So I would look to deal face to face, but you have to be really patient. Obviously the bigger metro area you live in, the greater chance you can get a deal like this done. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.