Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing insurgents in a 2 player game, my opponent sweeps and sweeps and sweeps. My units are constantly neutralized. Granted, he is not really doing anything to up his own victory points in the meantime, but it is exceedingly frustrating having all of my Gs activated over and over and over again.

US player has a fairly heavy commitment so he's able to just glide around the map activating me wherever he wants.

Sticking to jungles is NOT a solution, since most of the good jungle spaces start (and tend to remain) in opposition, so there's no great use leaving Gs there. You have to spread out of the jungles to win.

Killing enemies is a mediocre solution. Every time I kill a US Troop using standard Attack, one of my own Gs gets plucked from the board as well. If I instead spend all my turns Ambushing and Bombarding, then I likewise am not doing anything to improve my own score.

In follow up to the last point, even the US casualties are not much of a reward, since: a) 2/3 or more of them will return to US Available Forces and result in a big point surge for the Americans; and b) by the time you have inflicted a significant number of casualties, odds are there won't be enough cards left to rally new underground forces, spread them out, and take control or terrorize to victory.

Again, really just endlessly frustrating to deal with. It's like playing for a stalemate.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
District wrote:
Playing insurgents in a 2 player game, my opponent sweeps and sweeps and sweeps. My units are constantly neutralized. Granted, he is not really doing anything to up his own victory points in the meantime, but it is exceedingly frustrating having all of my Gs activated over and over and over again.

US player has a fairly heavy commitment so he's able to just glide around the map activating me wherever he wants.

Sticking to jungles is NOT a solution, since most of the good jungle spaces start (and tend to remain) in opposition, so there's no great use leaving Gs there. You have to spread out of the jungles to win.

Killing enemies is a mediocre solution. Every time I kill a US Troop using standard Attack, one of my own Gs gets plucked from the board as well. If I instead spend all my turns Ambushing and Bombarding, then I likewise am not doing anything to improve my own score.

In follow up to the last point, even the US casualties are not much of a reward, since: a) 2/3 or more of them will return to US Available Forces and result in a big point surge for the Americans; and b) by the time you have inflicted a significant number of casualties, odds are there won't be enough cards left to rally new underground forces, spread them out, and take control or terrorize to victory.

Again, really just endlessly frustrating to deal with. It's like playing for a stalemate.

Anyone have suggestions?

It is true that sweeping hurts the VC, but in a 2 player this leaves your NVA free to run amuck. If the US is spending so much time sweeping just attack all his bases, the amount of troops/ territories you'll take will outweigh the vp's the US will get from removed troops.

If your question is more specific to the VC, the only thing I can think of is move onto the LOC's and play from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would spend my time attriting US troops (Ambush and bombard while the NVA builds up its forces). ARVN money is going to dry up due to loss of aid, and, even though this will slow down the NVA build, when they are ready, the US will not have a lot to work with to combat you.

VC needs to alternate rally and marches. Get onto those LOC's for sabotage and ambush, as well as subvert down the ARVN patronage.

Early part of the game will be slow going, but you will be at a serious advantage in late game when the allied forces have nothing left to fight back with (resources and US troops having been drained).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
I would spend my time attriting US troops (Ambush and bombard while the NVA builds up its forces). ARVN money is going to dry up due to loss of aid, and, even though this will slow down the NVA build, when they are ready, the US will not have a lot to work with to combat you.

This is what I'm going with for the time being in my current 2 player game. But unfortunately when the US is out of spendable resources, that just gives him even more incentive to sweep, since sweeping is free vs train/pacify costing resources that he doesn't have.

jackalope wrote:
Early part of the game will be slow going, but you will be at a serious advantage in late game when the allied forces have nothing left to fight back with (resources and US troops having been drained).

Late game 2-player the COIN seems to end up with a bazillion resources, since the only thing I can do to reduce Aid is wait for events that do so. I am just going to keep whittling away at their troops.

I'll report back after a couple more games to see if mass murder is a viable solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:

Late game 2-player the COIN seems to end up with a bazillion resources, since the only thing I can do to reduce Aid is wait for events that do so. I am just going to keep whittling away at their troops.

His resources come primarily from Aid. There are a few event cards, and the 15 Econ points per coup.

Ambushing from LOC's can affect both the Aid and the Econ. Killing US troops gets rid of 3 Aid each, and if he doesn't spend ARVN time chasing you down on the LOC's, then that will drain his Econ too.

With your NVA, ignore Saigon (unless it is for a quick win) and go after An Loc and Can Tho (Kontum is also nice if you can get it). These will drain the Econ in a noticeable way (just An Loc and Can Tho make up a third of RVN the Econ) and are much easier to hold onto than Saigon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:

Are you reducing aid each coup round for pieces in the casualty box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.