Splendor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about taking 2 gem tokens of same color rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mickey Chan
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When there are 4 or 5 gem tokens of a color, can I take 2 gem tokens for that color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Yes. You can take 2 gem tokens from a gem pile that has 4 or more tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mickey5u3721 wrote:
When there are 4 or 5 gem tokens of a color, can I take 2 gem tokens for that color?

But you can only take those two gems (you can't take a third of a different color). Easiest way to remember if you can take two of same color is there must always be two gems of that color left after you take two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collis68 wrote:
mickey5u3721 wrote:

But you can only take those two gems (you can't take a third of a different color). Easiest way to remember if you can take two of same color is there must always be two gems of that color left after you take two.

Correction: "...there must always be AT LEAST two gems of that color left after you take two." (Because, there could be 5 gems in the stack before you take the two.)

THUS: as long as there are four or more gems in a stack (BEFORE you take gems), you may take exactly two of those gems rather than take 3 different colored gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Collis68 wrote:
mickey5u3721 wrote:

Correction: "...there must always be AT LEAST two gems of that color left after you take two." (Because, there could be 5 gems in the stack before you take the two.)

THUS: as long as there are four or more gems in a stack (BEFORE you take gems), you may take exactly two of those gems rather than take 3 different colored gems.

That's what I said...(...must always be two gems of that color left after you take two.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Guernsey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank is right. Must always be AT LEAST two left. Which is not the same as saying "must be two left".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Przadka
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the game and this has confused me. From the manual:

"Take 2 gem tokens of the same color. This action is only possible if there are at least 4 tokens of the chosen color left when the player takes them."

This must be poor wording because to me this reads that there must be FOUR gem left AFTER I take TWO. But in this thread I'm hearing that there must be TWO gems LEFT after I take TWO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgisimo wrote:
Frank is right. Must always be AT LEAST two left. Which is not the same as saying "must be two left".

That's entirely interpretive. From a purely logical standpoint, if "three left" is true, "two left" and "one left" are also true.

Different people understand things in different ways, and I agree that saying "at least" two left has the least chance of being misinterpreted, but that doesn't make the other statement wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpolishsensation wrote:
I just picked up the game and this has confused me. From the manual:

"Take 2 gem tokens of the same color. This action is only possible if there are at least 4 tokens of the chosen color left when the player takes them."

This must be poor wording because to me this reads that there must be FOUR gem left AFTER I take TWO. But in this thread I'm hearing that there must be TWO gems LEFT after I take TWO.

The question here is why you read "when" and turn it into "after". Again, we all learn differently. Universal clarity is easy in math, but very difficult in spoken language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.