Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary C
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After our third player had to bail out on us, HC and I sat down to play a quick game of King's Gate. We had never played the 2-player variation before, so after a quick brushing up on the rules, we were ready to do battle.

Per the 2-player rules, we combined two colors each so were playing with the full complement of tiles, just trying to manage two colors each instead of the usual one.

For those that aren't familiar, when playing with only two, you shuffle in two colors per person in your tiles. When laying down the tiles you are under the same tile laying constraint as in a normal 4 player game. For instance, if you have three 1s in both colors, you can lay them all down without regard to which colors they are. If you have a 2 or greater tile in both colors, you can still only lay one down.

The interesting part comes into play when you are scoring the Location. It is scored exactly like a 4-player game - so one player can catch both 1st and 2nd places in a Location. It becomes much more of a hand/tile management game with two players.

I handily won the first two Locations, had my Characters and was feeling good about it, then HC got the hang of managing the two colors and started slaughtering me. After the 3rd Location, I only won 1 other Location, other than that HC captured 1st on everything and 2nd on most of them. I now need to go back and look at how I was managing the tiles I had.

Once in the lead after successfully taking the 5th Location, HC managed to lay almost every other Location in a place where both of HC's colors were present in 3-4 of the spaces in the Location. And all too often with 5s and 3s. Add to this that I forgot to protect my 5 tile with a Character toward the end of the game and it was just a horrible game for me. But, as is always my "measuring stick", we had a good time and are ready to retry the 2-player version soon to see if we I learned anything about taking care of the two colors at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.