Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of this yesterday. 4 people so the game ended when someone built 17 cities during phase 4 (at the end of that phase). It was still step 2 when this happened and this meant that the other players couldn't build any more cities, because all city slots now contained two players' markers.

Once we'd packed a way I noticed that the rule about the game ending when someone builds 17 cities is in the 'Step 3' section. Does this mean it can only end in Step 3, so that if someone reaches the target number in phase 2 you keep playing until Step 3, when everyone gets 1 round of builiding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing happened to me in a 5p game last week. It was the first time this had happened out of around 20 plays--pretty cool. However, I believe that 17 cities is the game end condition (for the 4p game), whether in Step 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the game can end in Step 2. (I guess it could theoretically end in Step 1 if one player builds from 6 to 17 cities in a single turn, though technically you might say it would move to Step 2 just at the very end. This would be extremely unusual.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends when any player builds to the endgame number of cities no matter what "Step" you are in. The game tends to end in Step 2 a LOT when playing with 5 experienced players.

I prefer 3-4 player games for this reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Matt, the 5-player game doesn't work very well because of the premature conclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.