Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama publicly apologized yesterday, admitting fault for killing two hostages in a drone strike.. One of the hostages was a US citizen.

It's great that he made this apology, and rightly blamed himself as the executive under the operation.

But what about the other 2500+ people that have been killed by 'collateral damage'? What about the 300+ innocent civilians who have been killed by those same strikes? What about the children were killed?

Where is his apology to those families?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

I got your apology, right here !!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, I thought one of the myriad problems with Obama is that he apologizes too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too much. To the wrong people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
Obama publicly apologized yesterday, admitting fault for killing two hostages in a drone strike.. One of the hostages was a US citizen.

It's great that he made this apology, and rightly blamed himself as the executive under the operation.

But what about the other 2500+ people that have been killed by 'collateral damage'? What about the 300+ innocent civilians who have been killed by those same strikes? What about the children were killed?

Apologies are restricted to US citizens. Isn't that in the constitution?

Well, to be fair, the one guy was Italian, so there is that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People die in 'wars', US citizens too. Don't live near terrorists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
Not too much. To the wrong people.

For the wrong things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised that the person killed was a US Citizen, since you said 'his own countrymen'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's Bush and Cheney's excuse ? They have never apologized for essentially having 4000 + Americans killed in a pretty useless war. At least Obama has some balls in admitting it.

And only in the fevered minds of right wingnuttia is 2>4000 shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
What's Bush and Cheney's excuse ? They have never apologized for essentially having 4000 + Americans killed in a pretty useless war. At least Obama has some balls in admitting it.

None. But they also have been out of office for many years and it is widely acknowledged they both suck.

Time to stop evaluation of Obama based on Bush/Cheney and time to start evaluating this admin on the basis of this admin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
jonb wrote:

Checking again ...
BimmyJim wrote:

Nope. Shit. Not a single reference to Bush or Cheney. Maybe he's only talking about the current situation.

Only in the fevered minds of over-defensive suckups ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
People die in 'wars', US citizens too. Don't live near terrorists?

Are you being sarcastic? First off, in the immediate case, these two were hostages, so they didn't have a choice to "live" there. Second of all, to the larger point of collateral damage, this kind of logic is the same thing that conservatives use when they say "move to where the jobs are" to poor people in economically depressed areas. That isn't practical in a large number of cases. If a car driving down your street is blown up by a hellfire missile and your mom is killed walking back from the grocery store, are we really going to play "blame the victim" and say she should have lived a couple blocks away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, he shouldn't have apologized at all. You either own collateral damage as the price you have to pay for your policies, or you acknowledge that the price is too high and change the criteria for drone strikes. Since this is neither, I have to doubt his sincerity. It's one thing to say that this was a tragic loss in a righteous war, but apologizing and taking responsibility implies that the program is broken on a grander scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Really, he shouldn't have apologized at all. You either own collateral damage as the price you have to pay for your policies, or you acknowledge that the price is too high and change the criteria for drone strikes. Since this is neither, I have to doubt his sincerity. It's one thing to say that this was a tragic loss in a righteous war, but apologizing and taking responsibility implies that the program is broken on a grander scale.

I think he should have taken the former tack. This is the cost. It's horrible that some innocents will get caught in the crossfire, but it's better than the alternatives. You know, treat the public like reasoning adults. (Yea, I know, that will never work, but one can dream.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I think he should have taken the former tack. This is the cost. It's horrible that some innocents will get caught in the crossfire, but it's better than the alternatives. You know, treat the public like reasoning adults. (Yea, I know, that will never work, but one can dream.)

I definitely could respect that position better than then one he took, but I think I'd go with the latter. Of course, that is from a lay person engulfed in the warm bosom of middle America who isn't privy to every Security detail. From my vantage point of intellectual detachment, the program seems to have more negative consequences than positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tstone wrote:
Time to stop evaluation of Obama based on Bush/Cheney and time to start evaluating this admin on the basis of this admin.

You ask too much! cry

Sure he does. I didn't say that the current situation wasn't deplorable. But ultimately presidential administrations don't occur in a vacuum and every administration will be judged by history in comparison to the other presidencies that came before it. In that regard the Bush administration was much more effective at getting Americans killed in comparison to the Obama administration ( so far ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Can we just agree that all politicians fuck us in the ass, regardless of party? The only difference is that Bush smiled while he was doing it whereas Obama insists he's just giving us a back rub.

Some people like getting fucked in the ass, maybe it's the not asking part. I agree with you though, most politicians could give a fuck about what we think, other than their corporate paymasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tstone wrote:

You ask too much! cry

I evaluate them both on their shitty performances. Obama is way worse in my opinion, simply because he pretends to be a moderate, when he's really to the right of Ronald Regan. Bush on the other hand told us to lube up because we're about to get fucked in the ass and then he jizzed right in our ass, like he said he was going to. And the prospects for the future look like a bunch of jackasses on both sides. I see more corporate control of the federal government in our future, so lube up, those fuckers don't give a shit about you or me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.