Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khan Tsin is an abstract game for 2 players designed by Claude Leroy and published by Jactalea.

Contents
The game doesn't come in a box. The leather board displaying a dragon without head or tail comes rolled-up and contains 36 leather gaming pieces (12 black, 12 grey, 12 red). The dragon is divided into 36 positions where the pieces are placed.

There are two versions of the game one with a black and one with a brown board.

Gameplay
The players try to create a stack of 9 pieces containing 3 different colors x 3 times each, with their color on top to win the game. During setup they place their pieces (plus the neutral grey pieces) as they see fit on the 36 positions on the board.

A player, although he is assigned a specific color, is only allowed to move the 4 pieces/stacks closest to him (regardless of color). The pieces can be moved anywhere but they have to obey two basic rules:

1. A piece must always end it's move in a higher position.

2. No stack may ever contain a color more than 3 times.

As pieces can not move in empty spaces stacks start to emerge. Players can split a stack but it has to be close to them and pieces moved must create a higher stack. The stacks increase in height until a player fulfills the victory conditions.

During our first game we had no clue as to what is a good initial placement or move, but our second game was much better. We could see some good moves:

Placing 3 of the opponent's pieces in a stack blocked the stack from reaching a height of 9 with the opponent's color on top, so the player had to gain control of the stack first and then spend a move to split it to free his pieces.

Moving pieces close to the opponent limited the opponent's options as to what pieces he was able to move.

Stacks away from the players are protected from splitting.

Players can try to quickly free positions close to them to get control of the important middle positions where most stacks are usually created.

I am sure that there are many more tactical moves we'll figure out during our next games!

The game lasts about 30 minutes but with AP players can easily last 45-60 minutes.

Bottom Line
If you like abstract 2 player games Khan Tsin is recommended. It is not easy to see the best moves during the first game but after a couple of games players will get better and enjoy the game more.

Then there are the advanced rules: limited movement based on position and stack reversals make the game even more interesting!

My initial rating is 7.5 but it will probably climb to an 8 after a couple of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivy 2

Unspecified
msg tools
GeoMan wrote:
Khan Tsin
The players try to create a stack of 9 pieces containing 3 different colors x 3 times each, with their color on top to win the game.

beware !
this is a very big mistake. khan tsin is not dvonn : whatever the color on top, the one who creates a stack of 3x3 colours wins. that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ivy_ wrote:
GeoMan wrote:
Khan Tsin
The players try to create a stack of 9 pieces containing 3 different colors x 3 times each, with their color on top to win the game.

beware !
this is a very big mistake. khan tsin is not dvonn : whatever the color on top, the one who creates a stack of 3x3 colours wins. that's it.

You are right! My personal French to English translator (ie wife) translated this incorrectly. You only have to built a 3x3 stack to win.

(It can be a nice variant if you must also have your color on top and can also create drawn games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivy 2

Unspecified
msg tools
héhé, thanks geo ;-)
i can try to help from french to english whenever you need, feel free to ask, i'll do my best.
i tried plenty of "crazy" variants with these game... they all work ! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.