scott shaffer
United States
Shippensburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a good dinosaur game that is for children and actually uses dinosaur playing pieces. We've got tons of plastic figs waiting to be used for this.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trias might fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Evo is a great dinosaur game depending on how old the kids are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Evo is a fun game that would benefit from dino figs. There is some direct conflict that might be hard for littler kids to handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though long out of print, Dinosaurs of the Lost World would make a good choice. There are currently 13 people here at the Geek listing it as "willing to trade".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/393
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Page
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's got to be Bitin' Off Hedz!!!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1527

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
tribes2 wrote:
Does anyone know of a good dinosaur game that is for children and actually uses dinosaur playing pieces. We've got tons of plastic figs waiting to be used for this.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is an old Waddingtons game which already has a few plastic dinosaurs in it. (There's also a giant pterodactyl!) Perhaps your stock could be added to this game in some way?

The game is Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to second Dinosaurs of the Lost World. It would be perfect for a young dinophile. You get to lead an expedition to find and document dinosaurs in a land reminiscent of all the "Lost World" movies and books out there. The competition comes from the dinos themselves, who don't seem to be impressed that they are being photographed and collected, and the other expeditions (players) seeking to earn more fame than yours.

The mechanism of using a comic layout for each major adventure adds to the experience, although I don't remember there being any dinosaur figures in the game itself. Dino figures you already have, this is a good game about finding dinos that works well for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also agree that Dinosaurs of the Lost World is a good choice, and I'd further recommend that you pick up (or check out at the library) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Lost World' to go with it.

The game, which borrows a great deal from the book, came out shortly after I had read the book to my younger children, and I think their enjoyment of the game was increased immensely by having read it. When they were young we played cooperatively with a single expedition, deciding what to do as a group. Good times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flowerkin wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
Trias might fit the bill.

I'll have to agree. I like Trias myself. My 5 year old gets it, but the 3 year old just plays.

If you have big plastic dinos, they won't work all that well with Trias. Take a look at the pics on the game's page to see if it would fit your bill... you're also looking for five different colours, and different shaped dinosaurs don't really mean anything, either.

But it's still one of my favourite games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trias is pretty good...two concerns though:

1.) The moves in the game can be a bit confusing...even my wife and I mess up pretty regularly...and we're grad students (but maybe not as smart as the previous poster's 5 year old! ).

2.) The pieces are very very cute...but also very candy-like. If your children still put stuff in their mouths, I would probably not recommend Trias. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the actual pieces are like 1.5mm thick, and less than 1cm X 1cm...quite tiny.

-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Schlacht der Dinosaurier
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1081

No less than 64 cool plastic dinosaurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJG's Dino Hunt may still be available - it's not a "gamers game" but it isn't bad (it's one of SJG's better efforts). It's themed around time travellers capturing dinosaurs for a "time zoo". Dinosaur figures are used to mark the player's positions which isn't really what the original poster asked for. But there are lots of cards with colour pictures of dinosaurs (and some other beasties from that period) and statistics on the individual animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
Die Schlacht der Dinosaurier
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1081

No less than 64 cool plastic dinosaurs.

Was just about to say this. Total dice fest, complete chaos, and completely fun. Would be great for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Lost Valley Of The Dinosaurs by Waddingtons. It's been out of print for ages but always seems to be on E-bay and doesn't tend to go for very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For play with kids, Bitin' Off Hedz can be a lot of fun, especially if the extra powers for the various types of dinos are used. But among adults, that game can seem a bit long for what it is. If you're open to a two-player (only) game, and already have lots of the plastic dinos, then one of my own games, Dino-Czars is a small chess-like game that you might consider.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dino Jump-a-Saurus would be easy to make. It's a version of Traverse. The dino pieces have different-shaped bases. Other games that use dinosaur movers (Dinomite, Dinosaurs and Things, Dinosaur Game, etc.) rely on cards and the special board so you couldn't really base a game on them without drawing your own board and coming up with trivia/hazard cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.