Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
My eight year old nephew and I (I'm 39) played this for the first time last night. We had two copies of the "Revenge of the Sith" Starter kits and a collection of "Rebel Storm" and "Champions of the Force" booster figures.

THE SETUP:
We made up a scenario which employed both boards (connected by the turbolift). Players could travel from one level of the ship (one board) to appear on the other board on the next turn. Using the point system given on the cards we had roughly equal numerical forces. We also split our forces into squads fighting on each of the two ship levels.

THE GAME:
As we played, a relatively small number of high point force characters (Obi-Wan, Grievous, etc.) slugged it out on level one while hordes of lower level characters (Stormtroopers, Rebel Troopers, etc.) fought over level two.

The "light side" forces on level one made short work of the "dark side" forces. The dreaded "flip-flop" of initiative gave Obi-Wan and his partner an attack at the end of one turn and then the very first attack on the next turn on an isolated Grievous. It was over pretty quick on this level.

The "conventional" combats on level two were more interesting involving a running battle around the turbolift. On "level two" the sustained fire generated by an Imperial Officer and his commander effects on the nearby stormtrooper destroyed a squad of rebel troops. Good shooting by the Imperials and a series of misses by the Rebels saw the "dark side" take level two.

So, what emerged was the "Battle of the Turbolift" between Obi-Wan, his partner (I forgot the characters name, but it was another light sabre wielder) versus a wounded imperial officer and several stormtroopers. The Imperials managed to wound Obi-Wan but to no avail. His attacks were so powerful that you could guarantee that he would always hit (and destroy) one of the remaining Imperials on each initiative attack. After a few turns of this, Obi-Wan was triumphant as the sole standing character remaining on the board. A light side victory! My nephew was thrilled.

Overall, I would say this game looks nice, plays easily, and will appeal to Star Wars fans. Since this was the first time we had played, it served the purpose that I hoped it would - we had fun. I hope that we play more of this in the future, but I also anticipate seeing my nephews graduate into more thoughtful board games in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.