Goa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Giordano
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I have a few thoughts and questions on the game. Firstly, what is the advantage of having the flag? I know you can draw an action card, but why else should I bid for the flag? Secondly, my understanding is that colonist cards are only needed if you do not have the required number of colonists from the development board and from the two expedition cards when founding a colony. Is this correct? Lastly, I am a little confused on the expedition cards. My understanding is that the hand limit only applies when you draw expedition cards as an action. Are expedition cards discarded when you use them for their "actions" on the top half of the card?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
marcus567 wrote:
I have a few thoughts and questions on the game. Firstly, what is the advantage of having the flag? I know you can draw an action card, but why else should I bid for the flag?

The extra action is very important. You will have a very hard time standing up to someone who consistently obtains the flag. An extra action may not amount to much, but as you count them up, it easily translates into one or two cubes moved one further level down---perhaps more. The resulting point difference can easily be decisive!

In addition, you control which part of the auction area is accessed. This can seriously hinder other players.

Finally, you are the only player who will have two auctions. That means that you can use one of those auctions as a means to generate cash, and use that to pay for the other auction. In one of my last games I was always very, very badly strapped for cash, but as long as I could hold on to the flag, the other players were in effect paying for the other auction. It was a very sneaky use of having two auctions, and I was surprised to see how well it worked in practice.

Quote:
Secondly, my understanding is that colonist cards are only needed if you do not have the required number of colonists from the development board and from the two expedition cards when founding a colony. Is this correct?

Yes.

Quote:
Lastly, I am a little confused on the expedition cards. My understanding is that the hand limit only applies when you draw expedition cards as an action. Are expedition cards discarded when you use them for their "actions" on the top half of the card?

Your understanding is correct, and yes, they are discarded afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcus567 wrote:
I have a few thoughts and questions on the game. Firstly, what is the advantage of having the flag? I know you can draw an action card, but why else should I bid for the flag? Secondly, my understanding is that colonist cards are only needed if you do not have the required number of colonists from the development board and from the two expedition cards when founding a colony. Is this correct? Lastly, I am a little confused on the expedition cards. My understanding is that the hand limit only applies when you draw expedition cards as an action. Are expedition cards discarded when you use them for their "actions" on the top half of the card?
Thanks

1) Besides the extra action (which is usually worth it in and of itself), you get the privilege of going first for the action phase. This can be important if you and another player are racing for the same 4th- or 5th-level Expedition Card. More importantly, the holder of the flag gets to auction off both the flag and another tile; the extra money one accumulates can add up. Finally, the holder of the flag decides where the flag goes for the next auction; thus, that player can often steer the auction to tiles s/he wants.

2) This is correct: you add the numbers from the two ECs (or three, if you play the appropriate EC from your hand) to the current colonist track number; the difference must be made up with colonists from one's hand. If one cannot (or will not) pay the difference, that player takes one colonist and ends his/her turn.

3) Yes, and yes. The hand limit only applies when you choose that action, not when you collect ECs from auction tiles or rewards for going down on the tracks. When you play a card, it gets discarded, later to be reshuffled.

In other words ... what cymric said just before I posted!

Now here's MY question: why can't I play this online???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Giordano
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I did not know you could play expedition cards from your hand using the colonist numbers when founding a colony along with the cards you draw and your development track number. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jeris
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcus567 wrote:
I did not know you could play expedition cards from your hand using the colonist numbers when founding a colony along with the cards you draw and your development track number. Is this right?

No, it's not: you can't play expedition cards from your hand for their colonist number. But there is one expedition card which you can play to modify the colonize action, whose effect is that you flip three cards from the pile for their colonist number, not two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
marcus567 wrote:

No, but if you read Mike's reply a little carelessly, you are forgiven if you misunderstand what he means. When founding colonies you cannot add expedition cards from your hand to increase the number of colonists. What Mike is referring to is the expedition card which modifies the 'found a colony' action by extending the draw of the usual 2 expedition cards to 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.